• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to convince someone getting their child a rabbit is a bad idea..

ChloeLawless

Mama Doe
on facebook :roll:

i've a feeling it'll be like banging my head against a wall.

i've told her how hard they are and how they arent child friendly so we'll see if she takes any notice. also pointed her in the direction of rescues....

:censored: frustrating!

Maybe giver her a run down of possible vets bills and accomodation set up costs too its a lot of money to shell out if she isnt serious

Tell her that it's going to cost me £120 to get Sooty spayed and that might make her think a bit! and tell her about the bucket loads of bunny poop.

I've told her alll of this and then i got

"we want a rabbit or a pug" :roll::roll:

theres no winning with some people...:censored:

Im in exactly the same situation hun! My friend wants to get her kids a rabbit :censored: Its like hitting your head against a brick wall. I know shes going to go out and get one anyway :( They had a hamster and it only lived 3 months :? No doubt the rabbit will end up being rehomed :(

Theres no telling some people :( xXx

I guess when I see how much care, love and responsibilty RU members display for their buns it makes my blood boil to think of someone "blindly" buying a rabbit without knowing its true needs and the daily commitment required. At least you've tried to put them in the picture and with any luck some of it may have stuck!

i guess the only way is to list all the "what ifs" and potential negatives, and ask if they could cope with that - especially dentals or persistent EC.

I adore my bunnies and talk about them all the time :oops: but it annoys me when people say "your bunnies are so spoilt" because its not true - my bunnies get what the NEED - its not that much more than minimum, but even vet students dont see any wrong in having a solo bunny in a small hutch at the bottom of the garden with little attention!

so yeah, list everything they would need to buy and the actual cost, and all the vet stuff, maybe even do a day or week planner to show how much time they would take up - i doubt most kids want to sacrifice that much time!

I think owning a pet can teach a great deal to a child. I think it's ok to have a rabbit where children are providing the adult is entirely responsible for it. I wouldn't specifically get a rabbit for a child, but my sister has four rabbits and two guinea pigs to help teach her son how to be kind and compassionate where animals are concerned. He isn't allowed to handle them, but he helps feed them and gives them a carrot as a treat and he loves it. He's great with all animals because he has been raised to respect them and hopefully he will continue to do so when he grows up. Ultimately they are my sisters pets, but I think it's lovely that my nephew has the experience of growing up surrounded by them, it's just a shame not all adults are that responsible :roll: I wouldn't give a rabbit to any of my friends with kids!

I think owning a pet can teach a great deal to a child. I think it's ok to have a rabbit where children are providing the adult is entirely responsible for it. I wouldn't specifically get a rabbit for a child, but my sister has four rabbits and two guinea pigs to help teach her son how to be kind and compassionate where animals are concerned. He isn't allowed to handle them, but he helps feed them and gives them a carrot as a treat and he loves it. He's great with all animals because he has been raised to respect them and hopefully he will continue to do so when he grows up. Ultimately they are my sisters pets, but I think it's lovely that my nephew has the experience of growing up surrounded by them, it's just a shame not all adults are that responsible :roll: I wouldn't give a rabbit to any of my friends with kids!

i agree with you i had buns as a kid, my mum helped me out, when i let her:lol: i turned out alright (i hope:lol:) its the adults that need teaching sometimes! we always had pets though, some people cant look after there kids let alone animals, they just get them to keep the kids quiet, then its rescues that have to pick up the pieces:roll:

I agree there, however I know this girl and I know for a fact she wouldn't manage. She'd hate the mess/poop and she'd soon get bored!

I've tried my best :( just have to see if she listens..

I agree there, however I know this girl and I know for a fact she wouldn't manage. She'd hate the mess/poop and she'd soon get bored!

I've tried my best :( just have to see if she listens..

fingers x they listen, the annoying thing is that they will just expect you to help out if they get stuck!

:lol: shes done a status update..

"thanx Chloe Ebony not Haveing a Rabbit xxx"

i left the spelling mistakes in by the way..they aren't mine :lol:

Back