• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling rabbits

clarebear

Mama Doe
I feel sooo bad, as I had to pick Bramble up yesterday. The cheeky thing would not get back in his hutch, and was having a right laugh at me! I tried scooping him up, but he managed to shoot off again (much bouncing and binkies!). In the end I had to get him by the scruff of his neck and scoop up his bottom. I feel bad that I may of hurt him :( He seems perfectly okay today, and pleased to see me this morning......although it may have just been because I had his breakie! How is it best to pick him up, if I need to do it again?

you really need to get him used to coming over to you, i often find i'm better to wait till ted comes over to me, then i stroke her head and calm her, i then scope her up, make sure you stand up once their in your arms, their less likely to jump. with petal i pet her too till she's calm then scope her up. food is always a good bargaining tool.

Before I try and pick mine up I always cover their head/neck area with my hand and gently hold them to the ground so they can't scoot off. :lol:

I'm sure he wasn't hurt by you scruffing him though, as long as it was quick. :)

I have had to do this on occasion too. Personally I don't think it's too bad as long as you use the scruff to restrain the bun and get a good grip, but then take the weight of the rabbit by supporting its bottom. I'd rather do that with a bun who doesn't like to be held than have an insecure grip where it might twist/jump and get hurt.

I think Bramble has forgiven me! My friend came round last night and made picking Bramble up very easy, but she's had a lot of practice with bunnies. She just scooped him up and had lots of cuddles with him, which he seemed to love.

She also confirmed that Bramble is a boy! She thought he was healthy and a good weight, and happy. When she comes over next time she is going to trim his nails for us.

Now I just hope we can keep him! :rabbit2:

I have had to do this on occasion too. Personally I don't think it's too bad as long as you use the scruff to restrain the bun and get a good grip, but then take the weight of the rabbit by supporting its bottom. I'd rather do that with a bun who doesn't like to be held than have an insecure grip where it might twist/jump and get hurt.

My buns hate been picked up, and I have often had to end up scruffing them, but always support their bottom firmly. Their pride seems a bit dented but I would rather do this than have a wriggling rabbit who may jump and break a limb.

I've had hits and misses with my buns throughout the years...

My first bun was always very friendly to me, and loved to be picked up, as she knew there was a treat in it for her, and some petting!

Marco, my second bun, hated it, and in general didn't like me as much, but he was huge!

My friend's bun was just hyper, and loved attention, on the ground or in the arms.

My current 2 are polar opposites; the doe, Mony, hates to be off the ground, and would growl a me if she sensed I want to do so, but Marley, the buck, is very tranquil and has complete faith in me!

With the easier bun, all I have to do is scoop them up normally, but with the more troubled ones, I usually cover their head with my left hand, and scoop with my right, and immediately hold them to my chest. Saves me from getting scratched to pieces, then!

picking up

I was reading this thread with relief that i'm doing okay. I too hold at the scruff but always have full support of the bottom. Both boys don't take offense and always come close for a stroke later.
Diane:wave:

Back