• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

the vet says Jasmin has stasis

clarem

Warren Scout
I noticed Jasmin (5 yr old nethie, vaccinated and neutered) was a bit quieter than usual this morning and my son tried to give her food at lunch time but she was refusing :cry: When I got home she still wasn't eating, even her favourite carroty treats so I rang the vet. The vet said that rabbits can go downhill quickly and to bring her in (the answer I was hoping for). The vet says she has stasis and has given her fribreplex,science recovery to syringe feed, metoclopromide, vetergesic and fluids. She has told me to split her up from her husbun so we can see if she is pooing. The thing is I just got her home and she has eaten some kale :? Would she do this if she really has stasis. The vet also told me to give her fresh pineapple which I have bought for her, is there anything else I can do?

tummy rubs that often helps get the gut moving, i would definetly split them so you can be sure she is pooing

chasing alvin about his cage helps get his gut moving again and water too.. i try to give very wet veg and i annoy him with hay till he boxes and sometimes eats it...

if you are as sad as me you should be able to tell the poops apart :oops: then you wont need to seperate them... the poops will probably be tiny and very hard like little stone anyhows..

hopefully the fact your bun has had kale means shes well on the way to recovery

lots of vibes xxxxx

people also advise that outside bunnies are bought inside to help with recovery.. i dont know about this tho cus i have housebunnies... something to do with if they arent having to keep warm it aides recovery

I noticed Jasmin (5 yr old nethie, vaccinated and neutered) was a bit quieter than usual this morning and my son tried to give her food at lunch time but she was refusing :cry: When I got home she still wasn't eating, even her favourite carroty treats so I rang the vet. The vet said that rabbits can go downhill quickly and to bring her in (the answer I was hoping for). The vet says she has stasis and has given her fribreplex,science recovery to syringe feed, metoclopromide, vetergesic and fluids. She has told me to split her up from her husbun so we can see if she is pooing. The thing is I just got her home and she has eaten some kale :? Would she do this if she really has stasis. The vet also told me to give her fresh pineapple which I have bought for her, is there anything else I can do?

The fact that she has started to pick at food is good news :)
Personally I prefer not to seperate bonded pairs as the stress can exacerbate the poorly Buns problems.

Are your Buns indoors? It would be better for the poorly Bun if they are as when a Bun is ill they struggle to maintain their body temperature.
Try to get Jasmin to hop about as that will help stimulate her GI tract.
She may seem rather sleepy as she has had Vetergesic. Vetergesic is an opiate analgesic which can zonk some Buns out for about 8 hours.

I'd continue to offer Jasmine some more Veg. Poo watch is more tricky with 2 Buns but its not impossible. If she continues to eat a little and you get her to hop about a bit hopefully that combined with the meds she has had will get her tum moving.

Please keep us updated :)

pineapple juice/water/veg baby food mixed in equal parts if she stops taking solids and syringe in to cheek area. hope she makes a good recovery x

Thanks for all your replies. I have her on a towel on the rug in the lounge for the moment until I can set up an indoor pen and it appears she has done a poo and a wee, Billy her husbun has not been on the towel so it must be her :D I am supposed to give her the science recovery 4 to 5 times a day but this would mean she would have to come to work with me, but that might give cause her stress. Caroline, the other 3 are fine by the way :D

My boy Barney recently had GI Stasis, brought on by stress from moving to a new home. The vet gave him an antibiotic injection to be safe, and another injection to get his gut going. We live about 10 mins drive from the vet and as soon as we got home he munched his way through half a cucumber!

So yes, in your case as in mine, the medication kicked in and her gut started moving again so she started eating.

It's a huge relief isn't it?

We have tried her with the science recovery today which she doesn't really like. She did 2 small poos overnight and a few more during the day. She has eaten a little bit of kale and a leaf of greens today so doing OK :) They are in a pen indoors with a divider inbetween and are both lieing together up against the bars. How long will I need to keep her indoors for and how long can it take before she is fully recovered??

ive read it can take a few weeks for a bunny to fully recover after a really bad case of stasis.... but ive found with Alvin once hes eating and pooping hes back to his demonic self within 24 hours :D

im so glad shes getting better :love:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

The above tell you all you need to know about GI stasis.

I would get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to get by daily.

I would recommend you to let your bun stay indoor until she's fully recover. She can't fight the cold and fight the sickness at the same time

Back