• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I use to cover runs?

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
This rain is really annoying me :(

The floor gets really wet, meaning the buns get wet feet and then tread it all in thir hutch/playhouse.

What do you guys use to cover your runs? I like the idea of thr clear corrogated plastic but worry it would get very hot if the sun shone on it.

I don't want to cover them with something dark as I would like some daylight to get in...

Any tips? :)

I use tarpaulins
You can get them in the paint aisle of Wilkinsons, they are blue and only a few pound
I cover half the runs in it.

I bought a cover from a man off ebay. Cost me £70 but it's fab. Has covers on all sides so stops rain getting in through the sides.

I use a clear tarpaulin from

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/product_info_clear_pvc.htm

They cost more than the blue ones but let the light through really well. I've had mine 6 months now and it looks like new despite being on the run virtually every day.

:D

Yes me too! i have covers for all my hutches/runs and covers for the front of the guinea pig hutchs too, they are great.

No sure what they will be like in the summer (if we have a summer!) xx

Have bookmarked the clear tarpaulin, been thinking about the rain getting into my run once its built! Thanks :D

I sent a message to the the hutch cover guy only yesterday for a run cover and he's quoted me about 70 as it is a big run. Expensive though. Think I will look into the clear taupaulin website.

I brought 3 Ikea clear shower curtains from ebay for £2 each. I then just tacked them in place works perfectly.

Have a look in your local pound shop. Mine has white shower curtains, which at a pound each are cheap enough to get several to cover a big run. While they aren't see-through, they should still let a lot of light through.

I use the rigid, corrugated plastic stuff you mentioned. I think if you covered the sides of the run too, it could risk getting hot in the summer, but if it's the top only you want to cover, there is plenty of ventilation through the sides (unless your run is lvery low to the ground). I cover half of mine with a blanket anyway in the summer to provide more shade.

I use clera corrugated plastic on top of mine. It's cheap. It doesn't melt in the heat if that is what you are worried about. You do have to weight it down with bricks or screw it on though. I'll take mine off in summer .

Back