• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friends bunnies.....

*Bex*

Mama Doe
:evil:
My friend and his girlfriend got 2 girlie bunnies a year ago for their little boy. I told him they would need spaying, vaccines etc etc he assured me it would get done.
I met the buns for the first time a week or two ago, poor things in a small hutch which wasn't very clean and barely raised off the ground and they had no water :cry: I filled up the bottle and made him promise me they'd clean the cage in the morning and told him to call me and arrange me to bring round my spare cage as its a lot bigger, they can have it free...not heard anything since.

Phone rings today 'Bex, don't suppose you want two more rabbits?' :evil::evil::evil:
Turns out they decided they can't keep them anymore and want rid asap :cry:
I don't know what to do, i can't afford to keep 2 more bunnies, but i can't stop thinking about them :cry: The best i can do is look after them for a month or two if they had a home lined up.
Still unspayed and un vaccinated too :roll:

Don't really know what to suggest. If you take the buns what happens if you can't re home them after a few months? If he was my friend he'd be getting a right earful from me and the only ones suffering are those poor bunnies :cry:, they won't care where they end up either:evil::evil:

I feel sorry for you hun :( Its a hard situation to be in. If only people would listen from the start? :? My friend wants bunnies for her kids, and this is the exact reason im trying to make her think twice :roll:

You'd probably have to vaccinate and neuter them before you could rehome :? So it'd cost you a fair bit of money :(

Hope it gets sorted xXx

Somebody at work is looking at getting some buns soon who i know would look after them well, im hoping she might be able to help.
Can't stop thinking of the poor things :( i tried petting them the other week but they were really jumpy, obviously not used to attention.
I just couldn't afford to take two more on full time....i cant just leave them wondering where they will end up

Get the money off them for the neuterings and then you could either vaccinate them or get the new owner to do it:?

Awww Bex I feel for you - why oh why don't folk listen in the first place :roll: :cry: Would they be able to afford to get them speyed & vaccinated to help with rehoming them? Or at least meet half of the cost of this for any new potential owner?

I know you can't stop thinking about the bunnies, but at the end of the day they are the responsiblity of your friend, not yours & you shouldn't feel obliged to take them on if you really can't afford them - just because they can't be bothered anymore. It's very unfair of your friend to put you in that position. Is there not a rescue near that might be able to help them out?

I was gonna suggest same as Kay - get them to cover costs of neutering in return for you taking them off their hands.

People think animals are so disposable. I seen an ad today for an 8mth old rottweiller - being rehomed as owner says dog is getting so big and their house is too small. Duh - as if she didnt know how big it would grow and how small the house was to begin with.

I will ask them about the neutering but i think i know the answer :roll:

There is only the one rescue nearby, i was only there on Thursday and she was telling me about the waiting list she has waiting to come in so i know she is packed.

I wonder how long until they are bored of the pup they got 6 months ago....

I agree, they should pay for their spays and the vaccinations, why should they get to just dumped those rabbits and expected someone else to foot the bill for stuff they should have had done in the first place.

We've taken in 2 bunnies in the past from people we know whose kids got bored etc of them (Poppy & Harry) - neither were neutered / speyed or vaccinated & their previous owners didn't offer a penny towards them. Have to say I wouldn't do it again now, without making them cough up something towards them - otherwise they'll never learn how much actually caring for a bun or, any other animal for that matter costs :?:roll:

Back