• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has the 6x4 run from Albany pets? Safety warning

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 6x4x2 run from Albany Pets on ebay - I don't have pics and they have no listings on ebay now, but it was the one that came with a free shelter and has a hatch on top to open for access.

I last used it yesterday afternoon and when I went into the garden this afternoon to put the buns in I noticed that one of the mesh panels on the lid has completely caved in. :shock: The only explanation I can think of is that a fox must have jumped over the fence in the night and landed on it. :? I don't think it has tried to force its way in because it would have clearly been able to see it was empty and it didn't bother with the occupied hutch/run.

Dh was going to fix the mesh back in place but it seems as though the only thing holding the mesh in place is the very thin beads of wood on the inside of the frame and I'm very wary now of the same thing happening again, but while it's occupied. :?:? We're going to get a roll of weldmesh at the weekend and go over the whole run with it, attaching with u shaped nails.

Sorry to waffle on but just wanted to warn anybody with the same run. Will take a pic tomorrow in daylight to show the one I mean if anybody is unsure.

:shock::shock::shock::shock: i have one of those! We dont seem to get many "visitors" though - very occasional cat and never ever seen a fox or anything! But that is pretty worrying! Mine have a catflap back into the shed that i doubt a fox could fit through, if one did get in, but obv a cat could!

Its a really well designed run but i did wonder with the soft wood how long it would last. mine seems to be ok at the moment but i doubt it would last another winter. hmm....will check mine over tomorrow morning in the light.

thanks for the warning!

My first run was from that shop. I am now only using it to block the front of my hutch and run combo in bad weather, to hold some hessian bags in place. :lol:

The wood is very soft, the hinges have broken off several times, and the mesh has caved in, because is only stuck between two thin pieces of wood and not stuck very deep in the wood. It's ok when you are watching the bunnies, but it does not last very long, and is definitely not fox proof.

and the mesh has caved in, because is only stuck between two thin pieces of wood and not stuck very deep in the wood.

That's exactly why mine has caved in. :( It's a shame because the mesh itself is very strong but it's just not attached to the frame adequately, a\nd so is useless. I've only had mine since some time in the summer so it hasn't had a chance to rot yet. :lol:

I've only been using it on the grass during the day when I'm at home to watch them, but I still feel awful to think that I've been potentially putting them at risk. :oops::(

I got a 6 x 5 run from them a while ago. It looked lovely, great size. It barely lasted 3 months, they use some kind of hardened soft wood and they fall apart even after a second coat of wood preserver. The hinges gave way and it became unsafe.
I would never buy one from them again even though it was cheap.
I have salvaged the wire though to build another! :D

Mine is fine, I smoothered it in preserver, and is is covered by a sheet of MDF on one half. I was thinking of putting some more mesh on it, as I have had the same problem, but that is when I lean too much on it.:roll:

Back