• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giardia lamblia can rabbits get it?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I have been really ill with what I think is Giardia lamblia and I have been reading about it and from what I can tell dogs can get it, anyone heard of rabbits getting it? I am a bit worried actually as I was so ill, I even considered calling an ambulance at one point last night :oops:, so I would imagine it would kill a rabbit.

There are no reported cases of human giardia being transmissible to rabbits. The rabbit version is a different species. It would be sensible to not handle the rabbits or their food whilst unwell as even thought the Giardia isn't a risk, when unwell a variety of GI bacteria can multiply up and some of these can cause clinical disease in buns.

Sorry you are so poorly No idea what it is or whether it affects rabbits, but I note Marie has posted.

Thanks Marie, I didn't know what I had I had put this on a forum about illnesses

I have read most of this thread, I am at work and have to keep logging off, I found it after googling symptoms I was experiencing.

The last 24 hours have been totally hell, I use to suffer from this in my mid 20's and I haven't had it for a while (I am 32 now) and just assumed it was bad diet and stress, both of which I don't really have anymore.

The night before last the stomach cramps started up again and the pain was terrible, then yesterday the vile tasting belches started and stomach ache was on and off (I came to work anyway) so I took a load of pain killers. I got through yesterday having to go to the toilet every half hour or so as I have diarrhoea. I went home last night and the symptoms had calmed down a lot. I managed a bit of cereal for my tea and went to bed (the belching continues). I woke in the night again in so much pain, extreme diarrhoea and vomiting. OMG the vomiting was the worse, every time I was sick I had the taste of sulphur in my mouth. I am not sure whether the sickness was due to the stomach pain or the vile taste. I got through the night and have come into work. I am a bit nervous about burping, but so far all I have tasted is the smothie I managed to have for my breakfast, so I think (hoping) it's gone now (although I still had diarrhoea when I woke).

I am a veggie, so I know it's not a meat thing that has caused it. Someone mentioned about it being different sorts of fruit not digesting properly, well I had eat quite a bit of dried berries, along with fresh berries and fresh fruit. I do normally eat a lot of fruit though, although I had properly eat more than normal the day before yesterday.

When I use to suffer with this I didn't eat a lot of fruit, so I don't know if it was the fruit that caused it.

The pain was unbearable and I could even cope with that, but the sulphur taste is rank.

and someone had posted about Giardia lamblia and I was just looking at all the stuff about it, I went swimming on Sunday so I could of picked it up from there and I have been stupidly ill with it. The thing is I handled all my rabbits last night, I hadn't even thought about what I was doing at the time, but my partner and lodger had gone out so I fed them all and put them away. I just read about someone giving it to their dog and just though oh :censored: my buns. I have just rang home and asked my lodger to check all my buns :(

Sorry about the too much info :oops:

No long since finished that, my glycogen store is back to normal and I use to have something similar years ago. You get a vile taste in ketosis, but nothing compared to this, this is like a rotten egg taste it is vile and horrendous cramps, I thought it mught of been ibs, but a lot of people seem to be pointing me towards that parasite.

Thanks hun, going to go home and check on my babies now, glad to hear they can't get it off me. I have been pants though, although feel a bit better tonight just hope it doesn't start up again, I haven't been able to train for two days and got my race in just over a week and was suppose to go out last night and couldn't manage it, argggghhh bloomin illness.

Its not the dreaded Norovirus is it ?
You get dreadful pains with that, ask Laura !!

Hope you'll soon feel lots better

xx

Ooo... 2 Christmases I woke up in the middle of the night feeling so bloated I felt like I'd been inflated (I never, ever get bloated either), vile eggy burpiness that tasted of death, weird vomiting (it was black, apparently not a good sign but I hate doctors) and symptoms with the other end if you get my meaning. I can't remember how long it lasted but as far as I can remember I've never felt as ill before or after. Reading those symptoms I think that might have been what I had :shock::shock:.

It was awful so I hope you feel better soon Tree :wave::D. Glad the buns can't get it either!

Back