• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

48hr pain relief?..**The Poop has landed**

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,

Just got our bun back from the vets, and the vet said she gave him a 48hr pain relief injection for abdominal pain, I've only ever heard of a 24 hour one..

Silly me forgot to ask because of the stress and wot not, but I will phone later and try and find out, but I thought I would just post in here to see if anyone's heard of such a thing..?

She also gave him a gut motlity injection in his thigh? when all the other vets usually inject them in the scruff of the neck..

is this unusual?

Thanks

Martin

*UPDATE 23rd Feb*

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update this post and say a HUGEEE THANK YOU to everyone!..

Through all of this, and after the tears and heartache of the last few weeks etc, Snuggles has been eating, drinking and pooping regulary now for the last 6 days, he's full of mischief again. binkying and even developed some new tricks.. following us to the kitchen and begging by the fridge.. he is off the fluids and most of his other meds. and everything seems to be flowing fine.. he is miles better compared to where we were just a couple of weeks ago, ,we really thought we were going to lose him.. but somehow he has amazingly recovered from almost a 2 week stasis, and whatver else was happening in his body!..

I hope that anyone else who is experience this for their first (or any time) really, finds some comfort in knowing that they can and do pull through even when the vet is less than competent.. but also to stress the importance of a RABBIT SAVVY vet.. something I now fully realise.

Thank You to everyone for all of your encouragement and support, and for being part of this amazing forum... I would of been a complete wreck without you, and Snuggles says THANK YOU too..I have learnt so much through all of this, about myself too..

He's now our miracle bunny!..

M

Last edited:
I am not quiet sure about rabbits but my 2 of my cats can have it. One has bladder problems and the other has cystitas it helps them to get over there problems without any discomfort.

Hi Dumpling..:)

Thanks!. it's strange, I never heard of a 48hr one for buns either. he is a very sensitive bun though, and was grinding and shivering etc... it was absoloute pandamonium at the vets this morning too all kinds of stuff going haywire..

computers not working, dogs peeing all over the floor, several times, missed appointments etc..chaos..

I will wait until it calms down a bit and try and find out..

Purring Vibes for your cats:)

M

Our vets give rimadyl injections for post spey pain relief with our rabbits and it lasts a couple of days.

No it doesnt. Dont mean to sound blunt but thats well just the way it is. In my experience, pain relief is underdosed in rabbits. I frequently see cases where the dose is at the very lower end of the range. These drugs are not licensed for rabbits and as a result many stick to low (often sub theraputic) doses. I send rabbits home with pain relief after castrations and speys

No it doesnt. Dont mean to sound blunt but thats well just the way it is. In my experience, pain relief is underdosed in rabbits. I frequently see cases where the dose is at the very lower end of the range. These drugs are not licensed for rabbits and as a result many stick to low (often sub theraputic) doses. I send rabbits home with pain relief after castrations and speys

My previous Vet always refused to give daily analgesia and insisted that Rimadyl would 'last for 48 hours'. But it was so obvious that this was not the case.

Whilst I do understand that Vets have to abide by cascade prescribing etc it is more than a little frustrating and upsetting that some Vets are leaving Rabbits in pain when its just not necessary.

I dont suppose any Bunny Savvy Vets out there might want to run a seminar on Rabbit analgesia for their less 'up on Bunny matters' colleagues....;)

I dont suppose any Bunny Savvy Vets out there might want to run a seminar on Rabbit analgesia for their less 'up on Bunny matters' colleagues....;)

Have done one this year and an article planned ;)

yes Rimadyl (carprofen) only lasts 24hrs and is not great for continuing ongoing pain relief as there is no oral form in the UK and so it would need to be injected daily. Metacam is available as oral and injectable form so is preferable as it can be carried on at home. It is not recommended to change from rimadyl injectable to oral metacam as a combination of two different non-steroidal anti-inflammatories in the system increases the risk of adverse effects, particularly GI ulceration.

so what's the verdict?.....

is my vet ripping us off so to speak?......

you know we've been back and forth about six times this week because our bun wasn't pooping, and last night stopped eating, and they just keep giving us the same

injection of gut stimulant
injection of pain relief etc

but today is was a different vet and I explained the last pain shot didn't seem too affective, and she said she would give him a 48hr one and he wouldn't need another until friday, if at all..but just feels like they just keep fobbing us off.

hundreds of pounds so far and numerous trips to the vet and a bun that still won't eat or poop..

the only difference is from today he seems a lot brighter and perkier after the pain med they gave him today..

M

so what's the verdict?.....

is my vet ripping us off so to speak?......

you know we've been back and forth about six times this week because our bun wasn't pooping, and last night stopped eating, and they just keep giving us the same

injection of gut stimulant
injection of pain relief etc

but today is was a different vet and I explained the last pain shot didn't seem too affective, and she said she would give him a 48hr one and he wouldn't need another until friday, if at all..but just feels like they just keep fobbing us off.

hundreds of pounds so far and numerous trips to the vet and a bun that still won't eat or poop..

the only difference is from today he seems a lot brighter and perkier after the pain med they gave him today..

M

Has the Vet checked Bun's teeth ?
GI problems are often a secondary symptom to another issue, often the teeth.

If Bun is brighter after pain relief that is proof in itself that Bun has pain and giving analgesia every 48 hours is not enough. A Bun in pain wont eat and their guts stop working. Without getting pain under control, what-ever its origin, a Bun wont eat.

It appears the Vet is treating the symptoms but has not identified the actual cause :?

Hi Jack's jane..

And thanks, I think I tend to agree..

I'm so distressed and confused with all of this..

he had a dental done 2 weeks ago under GA..

since then he wasn't pooping but was eating and drinking fine.. but hunching and occasional grinding teeth

Took him back to the vets, they gave him gut stimulant and pain relief..

couple of days later he perked right up, and was full of joy binkying and munching away, then poops started coming through fine.. day after that, he went down again, no poops, but eating and drinking..

back to the vets, another gut stimulant, and more pain relief, couple of days later, perked up again, and more poops came through, then the day after went back down again.

all the time hunching and grinding teeth in between, *more vet trips followed* more stimulant, pain relief etc.

then yesterday all of a sudden he stopped eating, then last night he started shivering too, back the vets first thing this morning, and they checked his teeth, said they were all fine, checked his core temp, weight, all his vitals etc, felt his tummy, and said all perfectly normal but I mentioned the last pain relief didn't seem very effective.

so today she said she would give him a 48hr one.. which does seem to of made a difference to him today, but I told them over and over, he's not pooped properly in 2 weeks except 2 nights when everything was pretty normal and they don't seem to think its a big issue. Now he's not eating still, seems much more relaxed and chilling out, sitting properly and alert after todays pain relief but he is still shivering?...

he's so stressed with all the vet trips, as am I.. and I've had to borrow money to cover everything, and I still have a bun who won't poop and now won't eat.

I mentioned fluids, and they said he doesn't need them, he's not dehydrated, they seem reluctant to give them to him for some reason

now I just feel like theyre just taking money off me for nothing, and my bun doesn't seem any better apart from pain free for a while.. I'm so :censored:

I've been in tears more than once this week.. we've been really really struggling to shringe feed him too he fights us every step of the way, and scratches et.. food was everywhere except in his mouth, it's sooo stressful.

Sue has been incredibly helpful with all of this, and I have some more info to check into, and going to have another go at shringe feeding him again in a bit.

The vet said if we can't do it, they can take him and do it. but with all of this now I don't know if I can trust them.. they seem very nice and all but..

Sigh!..

I just want him back to normal..

(sorry if I kind of vented then, it's just been so stressful)

M

I see that you are in Cheshire. Try PMing Capel on here. She is in Cheshire and she may be able to give you details of a Vet more clued up on Rabbits.
Its not possible to be sure but from what you have said here the Vets you have been seeing appear to be, well, clueless really :?

My heart goes out to you, as I can so relate to your experience!! I had 2 bunnies who were in and out of stasis - one would get it then a few days later the other. My vets just kept shrugging and treating the symptoms, but saying the teeth were OK (they had been checked under anaesthetic too, so I knew they were OK). I have never known such stress! :shock:

I eventually changed vets (far later than I should have :(), to one who immediately tested for E Cuniculi, which came back positive. I would most definitely recommend that you change vets, as the cause needs to be investigated.

I see that you are in Cheshire. Try PMing Capel on here. She is in Cheshire and she may be able to give you details of a Vet more clued up on Rabbits.
Its not possible to be sure but from what you have said here the Vets you have been seeing appear to be, well, clueless really :?

Hi I'm cheshire too I might be able to suggest a good vet if you aren't near to Capel (who is lovely) - hope your bun feels better soon

Is your bunny having fibreplex? it's great for getting the guts moving again. Also I would definitely get a second opinion and get his mouth looked at again as something is causing his gut stasis. His teeth might look ok but there may still be sores or ulcers etc. Good luck x

:Thank You everyone..

and thanks for all the support, as I know many of us have most likely been there at one time or another.. it feels like I just want to wake up from a bad dream.. my hearts in peices, my emotions are in peices, my head.. etc, etc.. I'm a wreck, and so is poor snugs too probably with all the stress of it..I can't wait till we are on the other side of this, the last two weeks feels like years.. literally.

I will PM Capel too, We don't have our own transport so have to get taxis everywhere.. so many trips to the vets now even the taxi drivers are getting to know us:roll:

Well, we had another go at shringe feeding him and managed to get the suggested amount of fibreplex in him, I think that's the furthest we've ever got.

I have some critical care to give him, and some more fibreplex.. but the shringe they gave us for the critical care is too small, and the fibreplex is nearly gone.. so I was thinking of using that up, and then using the shring that comes with to shringe the critical care food. I will also add some avipro to it as he seems to like that..

Will probably get some more fibreplex too as most of it got wasted on the carpet, us.. his fur etc..

he's still not eating or pooping, shivering seems to come and go.. but he seems comftable enough at the moment, I think he's probably pretty depressed too.. I think we all are.

but thank you for all the replies, and the info and support..

off to for round 2 of the shringe feed.]

I never got a chance to get hold of the vet to ask what the supposedly 48hr pain relief is, so will phone her tommorrow..

Thanks

Martin

Another thing you might want to consider syringing is peppermint tea (obviously cooled - it's best when it's nice and warm but obviously not hot). If your bun has a hurting tum, it can be really helpful.

Hi Sarah..

Strangely, I picked up some fresh mint today and I was thinking of making a warm mint drink for him. I'm not sure if will do the same as peppermint?. but really just trying to encourage him to drink more..

Will give it a go in a min and see how it goes..

:)

Thanks

M

In that case it is very unfair it isn't properly taught in vet school. I know my vets always do their best and have tried to keep animals in the best way possible, but it must be hard to keep up with the latest advances of today.
I have Milly in for a spey on Friday and it very difficult to say these things to them as it sounds like you don't have faith in their ability, when I know they are doing the best for the animal.

Back