• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spurs

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,
When the vet last looked at matts teeth she said he had some slight spurs and that if he was eating fine etc then they're obviously not causing him any problems.
I've just noticed tonight though that he keeps doing a chewing motion even though he isn't eating anything! he also has a wet chin but he does that himself-he drinks water and then puts it on his chin, i don't know why! :roll:
He does make noises with his teeth sometimes after he's eaten. his eating is fine though and luckily he eats loads and loads of hay.
he does always get a runny eye from time to time, although this clears up on its own and his eyes just seem over sensitive.
do you think he's ok or maybe the spurs have got worse?
i think i might take matt and bisc to the vets to get them checked over because i'm worried about their snuffles aswell.
the vet just seems to dismiss me though, like i'm over-reacting.
let me know what you think.

When did the vet last see Matt's teeth? Spurs can grow very quickly - Bubbles had some picked up by the vet and she needed them burred less than 3 weeks later because they had started to cause her pain and ulceration. :(

The chewing without food can be a sign of problems and I think you would be wise to get Matt checked by the vet, it doesn't sound like you're over-reacting. :)

I agree with Karen. It sounds as though a Dental is now required.
The runny eye might be an indication that his tooth roots have elongated and you may want to request a skull Xray to see if this is the case. If the roots are effected it is very likely that Matt will require lifelong Dental treatment.

Good luck :)

thanks for the advice.
i have found a 'proper' rabbit vet now so i am going to go there and get bisc and matt fully checked over and then hopefully i can stop stressing! and bisc and matt will start to get better with their snuffles and teeth etc. :)

Good luck with the vet; finding a good one makes all the difference with bunnies. :):)

My buster does that chewing motion even though he isn't eating anything when he needs his teeth done he also has a wet chin and eats very little.So i know now when it is time to book him into the vets

Good luck tomorrow.

If you need details of bunny savvy vet who does conscious dentals in the future send me a PM. Near to Vauxhalls/Cheshire Oaks.

hiya,
thanks for the good lucks! :)
bisc and matt have been fully checked over today by the rabbit vet and they do have upper respiratory snuffles and will need about 3-6 months treatment. they are going in tomorrow for a skull x-ray, a nasal culture swab and matt is having his spurs burred at the same time. i'm really nervous because i really don't want to leave them :cry: but at least now i will know exactly what treatment they need and get the snuffles under control.
i'm so impressed with the rabbit vet, he's fantastic. so i know they will be in safe hands. i just know when i drop them off in the morning i will be crying when i leave them! i can't help it. :cry:

I'm so pleased to hear that you now have a diagnosis for both of them & I hope everything goes well tomorrow. It's natural to worry I know. xxx

thanks! :) my dads picking me up at 7.45am tomorrow morning! (sooooooo early!)
it's going to be so horrible in an empty house without my bisc and matt :(
i'm really relieved though that they're getting treated properly. i'm worried about the anaesthetic though but they've both had it before when they were neutered so should be ok. be glad when tomorrow is over with though and they're both back home again.
love them soooooooooooo much! :love:

It sounds like you have a brilliant vet,please try not to worry Hun.Sending vibes for tomorrow xxxxxx

i'll try my best but i know i'll be crying and worrying...just me i'm afraid...i'm ocd over my buns! :shock:
thanks for the vibes.
i'll let you know how they get on.

i'm back from the vets. my poor babies - they look so traumatised. :( bisc is ok and eating and getting back to normal but matt is just hiding in his box and he won't eat anything. all in good time hey. i hated leaving them this morning, i got so upset. :cry:
but the vet has found that the back of matts nose is very inflammed and full of pus so he has been given metacam for now until the swab test results come back in a few days.
poor matt, he's well wobbly on his feet. :( just going to leave him to sleep it off and keep an eye on him. he had his spurs burred aswell.
so relieved that's out of the way. i missed them so much when they went in. i had to come back to an empty house and it was horrible. :(
but now they can be properly treated and that's great.

matt is loads better now! he has cheered up and is eating and drinking and being cheeky again! :D
he is still sleeping alot but i'm so glad he's ok. :love:

Great news. :D I'm sure they feel so much more comfortable now after their treatment. :love:

Back