• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits had babies!?!?

dayle_x

Mama Doe
Pixie, my little mini rex has some little babies in her bed :shock:
I had no idea she was pregnant, and i have no idea how she got pregnant.
I've noticed shes been grunting a lot lately but the thought never even crossed my mind.
With Phoenix my british giant having free range in the garage I can only think hes the dad, but they've only ever met through the bars of their cages? No-one will own up to letting her out either.
God I am so annoyed, she was meant to be spayed on the 18th feb!!

Rabbits CAN mate through bars.

I know that because it happened to mine many moons ago (I'm talking 14 years ago when I didn't know enough about rabbits).

I would have him neutered if he is going to free range where other rabbits are...even if they are in cages.

Make sure you feed mum bun plenty of greens and give her pellets adlib as she will need the extra calories :)

I've got no advice . If you don't know how it happened, how are you going to stop it happening again? She could already be pregnant again! Sooty's hutch has padlocks on and I'm the only one with keys just incase "accidents" happen. Could your cousin have let them out?

Best bet is they are from your giant. So make sure he cant get back to her or there will be more. Id get him booked in for plum removal.

He is booked in for neutering on the 18th with all the rest, apart from her now.

I never thought about the sore hocks too :shock:
God I am sooo annoyed, it must have been my cousin who wouldn't say anything cos he knew i would have had a right go at him!
Good idea with the padlocks, b&q it is tomorrow!!

Will be interesting to see what they turn out like :? I can imagine the rex coat with the biiigggg giant ears :lol:

You ought to get your male neutered, its not as expensive as a female neuter, and if you had the money for the spey already you could use that? Hope all buns and babies are ok xXx

He is booked in for neutering on the 18th with all the rest, apart from her now.

God I am sooo annoyed, it must have been my cousin who wouldn't say anything cos he knew i would have had a right go at him!

Sorry we posted at the same time :) xXx

Sorry hun I wasnt trying to worry you. Im sure they will be just fine :love: :love:

Are the babys quite big?
I'd just be a bit worried if she could have had trouble giving birth if they were larger than normal babies (I've never seen a giant bunny baby so I don't know if they're bigger at birth or not)
I bet they'll grow up to be so cute :love:

I'm not sure, was just a quick look as i didnt want to bother her. They're quite chunky but quite little too. Theres 4, ones a bit smaller than the others too.
Phoenix is just the biggest monstery trouble causer ever!
He decided it'd be great fun to rip open the bin bag full of rabbit poop and spread it all over the floor, then make a great big hole in his hutch :shock: Just what I always wanted!

Oh dear. Hope the birth wasn't too stressful for her. :(

Make sure your giant boy does not meet any more girls "through the bars", until at least 6 to 8 weeks after his operation. And if it was your cousin, talk to his parents and make him pay for all the vaccinations and neuters with his pocket money.

This is why with the rescues, i never put un neutered girls out in some runs with un neutered boys in others, then NO accidents can ever happen.

I would keep an eye on her as to deliver giant X babies will have worn her out and might have taken a toll on her.

Oh dear. Hope the birth wasn't too stressful for her. :(

Make sure your giant boy does not meet any more girls "through the bars", until at least 6 to 8 weeks after his operation. And if it was your cousin, talk to his parents and make him pay for all the vaccinations and neuters with his pocket money.

Phoenix doesn't have free range of the garage anymore, I have added a pen around his cage and he aint a happy bun!
Were you saying "through the bars" in speech marks as though i'm lying? :?
At the minute, hes living with my nan because his parents appear to have disowned him.
Do you think I could rehome them unneutered & unvaccinated, but making sure new owners def get it done? I have only just saved up for all 9 of my buns neutering, I really can't afford another 4...

Phoenix doesn't have free range of the garage anymore, I have added a pen around his cage and he aint a happy bun!
Were you saying "through the bars" in speech marks as though i'm lying? :?
At the minute, hes living with my nan because his parents appear to have disowned him.
Do you think I could rehome them unneutered & unvaccinated, but making sure new owners def get it done? I have only just saved up for all 9 of my buns neutering, I really can't afford another 4...

How could you guarantee they would?
How would you know they will not take 2 and let them inbreed?
Or be left in a tiny Accomodation?

All things to take in mind.

To add on what Raven said, unless your giant for some reason carries rex (which is highly unlikely) all the babies will have a normal coat, because rex fur is a recessive trait. :wave:

I don't think the giant x mini would be much of a problem now, if she's already had the babies the worst is over.
A friend of mine had a french lop male who mated with a mini lop. She did the birth fine, but after 8 weeks the babies were as big as her:lol: It was quite cute to see her nurse them.

firstly congratulations on your bunddles of fluff! hope things continue to go well
on a different note....was wondering if as they get bigger she may have probs nursing you may have to hand rear if it all becomes too much for her?

on the lying.... i think no one is accusing you of lying its just very very very rare i would think for a bun to be able to get the right projectory to mate through bars as girl bun would have to back up to bars and then boy bun come up and do her through them more likely someone let them together i think padlocks are wise! :)(also people on the forum have lied before when too embarrrased to admit have let their buns together or allowed them to mate so people can get prejdiced becasue of previous liers)

now you have the bundles of joy there i wish you every sucess with them i woudl get them at least myxi vaccs(when old enough) and neutered before rehoming them in pars if possible. prehaps also a care guide and homechecks can be done to ensure they do go to understnading loving homes which im sure is what you want :) congratulations to mummy bun for managing the birth sounds like so far she being a good mum. x

No, I didn't say you were lying, as you yourself don't seem to know what happened. I just meant that you should make sure that no one else can get access to the bunnies, and that big boy can't escape and get to the girls. If he has managed to eat through his hutch, he seems to be a very determined boy, and I have a mini lop who can jump very high when he wants to follow me. :lol: Never underestimate a bunny. :)

Oh, and try to rehome them through this forum, if you can't afford to have them neutered and vaccinated.

Back