• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Seriously need advice

Lu_x

Mama Doe
I'm contemplating getting another bun. I've found a bun who really needs a home, he's currently being treated for sore hocks and urine scold (awful history and only 8 months old :cry:) but once he's better I could adopt him, he's currently unneutered. But if I take him on I want to bond him with my female bun, she's a house rabbit and was spayed a month ago.

My questions are: What size indoor cage/ dog crate would I need for an English? (with it in mind for two buns in the end). ALSO-
Would I have to have him neutered before beginning bonding?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get everything just right.

My questions are: What size indoor cage/ dog crate would I need for an English? (with it in mind for two buns in the end). ALSO-
Would I have to have him neutered before beginning bonding?

I am sorry, I cannot answer your first question. As far as the second question is concerned, it will be best to get him neutered before the introduction to your doe. Otherwise, he will keep trying to mate with her and she will keep running away from him. Don't forget that his hormones (and the urge to mate) will still be there for six weeks after castration. Good luck with the introduction.

Aw poor little fella...What's his story?

Do you know why he's got urine scald? If it's incurable, then he could be permanently incontinent, and taking care of him could be very hard work.

I think it depends on the tempermant of the rabbits. I bonded an uneutured male with my neatured female and although he does mount her and spray her Ive never had a problem which suprises me as my female is a very highly strung and moody madame but she loves the company of another rabbit. :D

I am sorry, I cannot answer your first question. As far as the second question is concerned, it will be best to get him neutered before the introduction to your doe. Otherwise, he will keep trying to mate with her and she will keep running away from him. Don't forget that his hormones (and the urge to mate) will still be there for six weeks after castration. Good luck with the introduction.

Thanks for your quick reply! Do you know if it would be ok to put their cages near each other or will this just wind him up? My girlie has a big indoor cage but has the run of the place, so she would be around his cage a lot and they'd obviously have to take it in turns to skip about the place, but if needs be I could put them in seperate rooms?

I am quite sure that it will be best to keep their cages in the same room, so they can see and get used to each other without the danger of fighting.

Aw poor little fella...What's his story?

Do you know why he's got urine scald? If it's incurable, then he could be permanently incontinent, and taking care of him could be very hard work.

As far as I am aware at the moment the urine scald is a result of sitting in urine soaked conditions and he's been examined by a vet, so is getting the attention he needs, it should be curable from what I'm told.

His sore hocks are the biggest problem he faces.

Basically he was kept in a petshop for 6 months of his life and no one wanted him because he wasn't small and fluffy. Because he was kept in a tiny cage with a thin layer of sawdust and his claws also got overgrown he developed sore hocks, and he was always sat in the same corner.

I'm desperate to have him, but my partner might not be too keen! But I think I can get round that as I found out today he spent A LOT of money on a camera lense, so now it's my turn to do what I want :lol:

My doe is a bit of a control freak, but I'm hoping she'll soften up for a boy! I get the sense that the buck is a gentle giant! x

Poor bunny! :( I am sure you will manage to convince your partner to give him a chance. Good luck with the bonding. I am sure your doe will love him. She will love the company of another bunny.

Would a big puppy pen be big enough for an English Buck, just for when I'm out at Uni (which is no more than 4 hours at a time)?

Thanks for the advice so far guys! :wave:

As far as I am aware at the moment the urine scald is a result of sitting in urine soaked conditions and he's been examined by a vet, so is getting the attention he needs, it should be curable from what I'm told.

If the urine scald has been caused by incontinence - it may be EC related. Even if the EC is fixed, the incontinence might not be

Good luck

If the urine scald has been caused by incontinence - it may be EC related. Even if the EC is fixed, the incontinence might not be

Good luck

OK, thank you, I'll make sure I look in to all the medical details before making a final decision. I'm hoping it's not to complicated on that front. Bless him x

Back