• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Persuade Hubby To Foster Housebuns?

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

I have been chatting with our local rescue centre. They have been asking for volunteers to act as quarantine and behaviour/character assessors until the buns move into the rehoming shelter. It is short term fostering. The volunteers need to be willing to have 2 cages in their house (1.2m x 0.6m each) and give at least 4 hours a week to the rabbits. The home will pay for everything for the buns. I can do this, it is perfect for me, I have the time, the space and the love. BUT hubby doesn't want rabbits in the house. He is sure they will smell and hay will get everywhere. He has no problems with the idea of fostering, just the 'indoor' bit...

How can I persuade him otherwise?

Emma

Tell Hubby the buns will live on vet bed that can be washed in the machine.I have to clean my Stumpy every day and he is a bit messy bless him.Or tell hubby you need a conservatory built :lol:

the hay does get everywhere and an unneutered buck may smell if he sprays.... however they are a delight to have and once nuetered they will calm down. best bet is to say i will wash vet bed daily(ie have spares) and the hay will be in a rack rahter than spread arounda dn wil lhoover dialy to keep area clean and will have a dustpan and brush to sweeop up after run times.. you cna even have a plastic sheet in a pen you put down for play time if have carpet with un litter trianed buns?x

once you get house buns you'll never look back :) no cold toes & rain. OK hay does get everywhere but they don't really smell if you keep their litter clean. Sometimes they do wiff a bit when actually doing a poop but only if you are sitting right next to them & it is true that uneutered buns can have a bit of an odd odor too but I've never really noticed it unless trying to bond a recently neutered male with another male....then it is stink city!

Could you ask the rescue if you could do it on a trial basis to begin with? Than tell hubby if he's not happy after a month, you will reconsider fostering.

During the month, just make sure vet bed is washed every day (like suggested) empty the littler trays just before he gets home, put the hay racks at the back of the cage so less gets on the house floor, keep a separate dust pan and brush by the cages so you can sweep up during the day etc etc

Back