• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella has another absess.U/D C&S test back

Loula

Mama Doe
I was hoping some people can give me advice on what to say at the vet.

I've found a lump in the same place as her last absess, it is probably about the size of a brussel sprout behind her left front leg. I feel awful for not noticing sooner, and can't understand how i haven't noticed, because now that i know that it's there, it is all i can feel.:cry::cry:

She had her first one taken off, with a course of baytril afterwards, but then when she went in to be spayed they found loads more under her skin. Another course of baytril.

It doesn't seem to be working :roll:

Is there anything I can suggest to the vet when we see him (today at 3pm)

I've been searching all other posts and have read things about Ceporex, pediatric septrin, Depocillin and Metronidaole.

I really don't want to lose my little girl :cry:

Last edited:
I would suggest getting a culture and sensitivity test taken. This would help identify the exact bacteria involved and the most appropriate antibiotic to prescribe.

Good luck :)

As Jane said a C&S test is a really good idea as Baytril is not usually the most effective antibiotic to use in the treatment of abcesses, as it has poor tissue penetration.

My abcess bun has been from Baytril when he had an infection, to Ceporex at the start of his abcesss and then to Depocillin and is still having recurrent abcesses. The next option we are considering is a mix of metronidaole and septrin (I think)...but we are waiting on his C&S results to come back before deciding the next step.

They're taking it off on weds and sending a sample for a culture and sensitivity test. Here's hoping it's the last one. I feel mean making her have another op as this will be 4th in 6 months. poor little mite.

They're taking it off on weds and sending a sample for a culture and sensitivity test. Here's hoping it's the last one. I feel mean making her have another op as this will be 4th in 6 months. poor little mite.

I hope all goes well for her on Wednesday :)

Good Luck for Wednesday...Mack has had 3 op's in 5 months, such a brave little soul :love:

My lovely girl is going in to the vets bright and early tomorrow morning so lots of vibes needed for a nice straight forward op :roll:

why does time go so slowly?!?! i've got to wait until 2pm to ring and check on her and it's taking forever! i've been to asda to do my shopping.tidied the house.given all of bellas stuff a proper good clean.and now i'm sat here wanting to ring and check.

the house is so quiet without her :cry:

Bella is home :D

You'd never know that she's had an op, she's very lively and sat munching on lots of hay as we speak.

They're sending her absess off for culture and sensitivity testing so hopefully it can get sorted finally this time.

I'm just glad we've got her home. It's odd how empty the house is without her hopping around!

Back