• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know what humidity etc hay should be stored at?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Am putting this in Rabbit Chat despite having no bunnies. I hope it makes sense as to why!

I just measured the temperature in the shed out of curiosity (I have no pets in there), and my thermometer has a humidity monitor on it too. It is raining outside, but the humidity was sky high - nearly 80%. Since I keep all my hay in there, I'm wondering if this is a good idea - am thinking mould and bacteria build up etc.

80% is pretty high but as long as the hay has been properly dried before storage & I imagine it would be ok...I think the main problems you get are if it has either not been dired well or the bale actually gets wet......

I'm not 100% sure on this though, just my thoughts.

You're probably right, as the barns etc that hay is stored in before it's bought can't be particularly good for humidity levels...

Back