• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gassy Bunny

Keyzzee

Warren Scout
Fruiti one of my little darlings, 3 weeks ago was not himself, lying down no interest in food etc etc, took him to the vets and they said that he had a gassy tum, gave him a number of injections and I had to give him meds over the next few days, thankfully made a full recovery quickly. Yesterday same thing, lying down looking not very pleased with himself, turned his nose up at his favourite veg. Can anyone give me some advice how I can avoid him getting gas, he is neutered, has approximately half an egg cup a day of pellets, has a small cup full of veg twice a day (I try to give him a good variety), and he eats tons of hay and readigrass. His wife has never been poorly, nor my other two, just fruiti, can anyone shed light on what Im doing wrong or any advice how to stop him getting gassy, the vets bills are staggering as the little lovely always seems to fall ill when my vets is closed and I have to use the emergency service.

Fruiti one of my little darlings, 3 weeks ago was not himself, lying down no interest in food etc etc, took him to the vets and they said that he had a gassy tum, gave him a number of injections and I had to give him meds over the next few days, thankfully made a full recovery quickly. Yesterday same thing, lying down looking not very pleased with himself, turned his nose up at his favourite veg. Can anyone give me some advice how I can avoid him getting gas, he is neutered, has approximately half an egg cup a day of pellets, has a small cup full of veg twice a day (I try to give him a good variety), and he eats tons of hay and readigrass. His wife has never been poorly, nor my other two, just fruiti, can anyone shed light on what Im doing wrong or any advice how to stop him getting gassy, the vets bills are staggering as the little lovely always seems to fall ill when my vets is closed and I have to use the emergency service.

Readigrass gives a lot of my Buns a very gassy tum. I'd try cutting it out of his diet.
Other things that can cause some Buns problems are Cabbage, Broccoli, Kale
carrots and fruit :)

Readigrass gives a lot of my Buns a very gassy tum. I'd try cutting it out of his diet.
Other things that can cause some Buns problems are Cabbage, Broccoli, Kale
carrots and fruit :)

Ah all of his favourite things. Thanks Jack's Jane I shall take on board what you have said and modify his diet.

My Dougal gets gassy somtimes, but I usually get to it quick with 2mls of infacol and a tummy rub. I have noticed that it usually when he is moulting or not eating enough hay.

Some rabbits are just prone to getting gas:roll:

My Dougal gets gassy somtimes, but I usually get to it quick with 2mls of infacol and a tummy rub. I have noticed that it usually when he is moulting or not eating enough hay.

Some rabbits are just prone to getting gas:roll:

Fruitti does tend to moult alot, he doesnt have particularly long hair etc, but Im always covered in it, do you think if I brushed him this will help.

Back