• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People - when will they learn

Piggiesgalore

Mama Doe
What is it with folks?

One of my regular boarders recently lost his pal and although the boys were never properly bonded i.e. they lived separately, they were great buddies. Their owner called and asked my advice about getting another bun and I pointed them in the direction of our local rescues giving them names, phone numbers, addresses etc., Rabbit Re-home and RU. Despite spending ages telling them all about the benefits of taking on a rescue bun i.e. thousands in rescue awaiting forever homes, more choice than they could ever get in a pet shop, correct sexing, assisted bonding etc., etc., etc., what did they do ......... went to a breeder.:cry: Before anyone shouts, I'm not "knocking" breeders, just trying to help all the local buns in rescue.

I was due to look after a couple of buns later in the year for a new rabbit owner. Needless to say she bought from a local shop, thinking she had one boy and one girl - she didn't, turns out she has two girlies (could of been worse I suppose:shock:). She has been in touch to say the girls are now fighting dreadfully and her vet has thankfully advised her to have them spayed - which she is planning on doing. They are only a couple of months old so she has now had to seperate them until they are old enough to be done. I just hope she reads up about re-bonding, otherwise I fear another bun or two might be heading to rescues.:cry:

Same with piggies. Someone from my daughters school asked whether I had any baby pigs needing homing (ah, no) and again I spent about an hour on the phone telling her about rescues, giving her links, going through all the different types of accommodation and whether to house them inside or out. This was all followed up by an indepth email giving her links to various websites etc. - what does she do, goes to a shop.

I feel like banging my head against a brick wall - another reason for stopping shops to sell bunnies/piggies - this lady had no idea how many are in rescue, but I think the lure of small, cute bunnies may still have been too strong for her.

Sorry rant over!

Unfortunately, there are idiots everywhere, who will only ever take the "easy" way of getting what they want :roll:

I think it is as you said the lure of cute baby piggies and rabbits. Dont they realise there are loads of baby rabbits and piggies in rescues to. :(

Its such a shame that even after all the advice and help you have tried to give these people that they still go out and buy from the places that are causing the problem of unwanted animals in the first place :? At least you tried, if you only get through to a few people then its worth the effort.

well she'll be lucky to bond the two of them again after them fighting. thats what happened to my girls. they won't be able to go back together now. ted was meant to be a boy but ended up a girl :(

Back