• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore hocks in wet weather

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Yesterday i noticed Indi has sore hocks again on both sides (Phoenix is fine) which i think is probably due to the wet weather - she loves running around in the melting slush in her run! :roll: They do have stools and igloos to sit on, but i think the wet is irritating her skin.

I've put sudocrem on them once per day - she's not that keen on being held so i dont want to do it twice a day unless its really necessary. Do you think i should lock the catflap and not let them out into the run until the snow melts?

My only other idea was to pour buckets of warm water over the run to melt the snow (its on deck so the water will run through) but i imagine the deck still being wet wont help her feet heal?

any other ideas or suggestions? thanks

Put some Vaseline on her hocks before she goes out on the snow. It'll act as a barrier.
Then dry her hocks off when she goes into her hutch/shed and apply some Aloe Vera Gel

:)

I did think about vaseline. Problem is with catching her etc as she's not keen, and as its attached to the shed, she's in and out all day (and night!) so i cant dry her off each time.

i have them both in with the heating off during the day sometimes, which could work as alternative exercise to the run, but as the house is half carpet half floor boards i am concerned that the carpet will cause further irritation.

it would have to happen to the bunny i cant catch and doesnt like being held!

I would but then i would need to cover the entire run somehow as the wind blows the rain in through the side as well as falling from the top, and i know from previous experience that they only really go out there for fresh air and sunshine - otherwise they stay in the shed. so i think if i covered it they just wouldnt go out!! Ahhh, so frustrating!

Just bumping this as I've just noticed Faline has a bald patch on each foot about half the size of a Penny, it doesn't look sore, just nakey and I was wondering if sudacream / vaseline is the best option. I think it's going out in the wet that's done it.

Would sugest vaseline before you put them out if its wet. Used it before on horses who get mud fever and found that prevention was much easier than curing once the skin is broken.

Back