• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The babies are here!!

D&D

Young Bun
tonight at 9:30pm we had our female in the house as normal, then all of a sudden she kept jumping on me, oddly trying to get on my arms..(this clicked later when i realised she has got used to the fact its always me that puts them away at night)...after she did this two or three times i thought she wanted to go back to her hutch, so took her out, put her in, she then proceeded immediately to rip her fur out, did that three times....when she didnt emerge the third time, i peeked inside her enclosed area to witness her giving birth to SIX cute little kits and the birth lasted no longer than 45 seconds for all of them!!!, all moving and healthy....she even started to eat anything she could grab while they burrowed in the fur and i assume feed as she stood over them....i lowered in a piece of fresh apple and she chomped the whole lot down out of my hands....was an amazing experience....:):D

here they are at 3-4 minutes old.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

we were shocked at how small they were too, as her first kit that was stillborn was at least 4 times the size of these, but then she only had the one.....i just cant get over the fact she kept trying to climb on my arms...but then we have trained them solid for last 4 months...

we have them litter trained and they respond to their names...they are more than pets to us...they are family...:love:

hopefully all will go well and i will posts week by week pics of the 6 of them growing up..:D

the only thing that is going to upset us is the separating of mum and dad......they hate to be separated and 6 weeks of it is really going to upset them.:cry:

that bedding (not the fur), is it that woolley stuff? if it is its really not ideal bedding as the babies legs can get trapped in it. You can't change it now as it could cause mum to panic and eat the babies, but you will have to keep an eye
Congratulations grandparents!!

mom and dad were not together and havent been together since, the male will be booked in ASAP and the doe after her mommy duties are done...:D

@bedding question....it is a special bedding, purely organic made from plants and it has the same sort of texture as candyfloss, so no risk of the kits getting tangled up....checked on them this AM and all of them are fine with little round bellies so mum is doing her job :D

DSC00001.jpg

Diego knows something is different and he is really mad we wont let him get out to her, he has been charging at me all morning, so i just bend down, give his ears a little rub which confuses him for a few seconds then he has a running around moment, he is in a very bad mood.....verging on sprouting horns!!:lol:

aww so tiny :love:

when my mumbred cats she had one cat who always used to tell her whenshe was about to give birth it was a cat she had a special bond with and she trusted my mum 100% maybe this is the same with your little girl :love:

i look forward to watching them grow :love:

holy mackerel, your bunnies must be seriously well bonded with you!

Well done, fantastic call to get Dad separated so quickly and off to the vets (poor boy :lol: ). I remember your first thread and all the angst you were having about seaparting them - I am sure they will be fine, especially given the bond between all of you.

keep the photos coming

Emma

we havent decided yet how many to keep but there are good homes lined up for all six of them, there are many rabbit lovers in my urbanisation (like a tiny estate but linked together and secured with a main gate, so close with our neighbours) so finding them a nice home isnt a problem...i think we will end up keeping one at least.....but saying that, its possible we might keep them all if we have too strong a bond....space isnt a problem as we have a very large enclosed garden where they have free roam including inside the house if they wish (we have no other pets)....and i can easily build more hutches for them.

think its too early to decide...have to see which ones are calm and which are destructive...:lol:

also, i noticed in my signature that if you look at dora (the tanned one) you can see on the side of her tummy a patch that to me seems to resemble a bunnies head!!...or am i imagining it?..:lol:

Last edited:
Day 3

DSC00007.jpg

babies and mommy are doing really well....:)

i have posted in the other topic i made about "separation", its affecting diego really bad, he is so aggressive and we have to wait 6 days before his vet appointment.:(

Last edited:
Good luck with buns & babies. One of my recent rescues has had babies and although I was very nervous when they were first born, I am loving every day now watching them grow and become little individuals.

It's a lovely experience but one I hope not to repeat. :)

it looks like we could lose one in next 24-48 hours, this kit is absolutely tiny and very thin, i dont think he/she can get past the others to feed....is there any way we could save this little kit?

I don't really know much about baby rabbits but:

If you're sure she hasn't been fed then you could try removing her from the nest and trying to get mum to feed her on her own.

It is possible to hand rear baby kits but you will need a very small syringe and some milk replacement, perhaps kitten replacement milk.

http://groups.msn.com/AngiesArk/handrearing.msnw

As your doe seems to have a very good relationship with you, you could try taking her out and seeing if you can sit her back and latch on the very tiny one and hold them both and see if the littlun will feed from her then.
I'm not sure I fancy little ones chances if you werer to remove it completely but if you cant get littleun to feed from mum in that way then you could supplement its feeds with some goats milks or replacement kitten milk and take it out to feed it but pop it back with the others when done?
You probably already know but dad will be fertile up to 6 weeks after his neuter so he'll have to stay separate from mum til at least then.
Such a clever mumbun!!! :love:

Back