• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying survival rate?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
OK the dreaded day is nearing when my baby has to be spayed and Im getting so nervous and feel so bad when i see her binkying around and know Im gonna cause her pain :( as usual I have to know EVERYTHING so does anyone know what is the % survival rate for buns being spayed? Daisy will be 6 months and she is v healthy!

we've spayed getting close to 200 bunnies now & have lost 1 to a spay I think however she was spayed very late and was a mess inside from uterine cancer. We would have given her a go but from what I remember her heart gave out. A vets that we were looking at the other day had lost only 1 in the last year due to heart complications. They must do hundreds each year.

As long as your bun is healthy then there is no reason why she should have any problems at all as long as you have a good vet. Sometimes you might get a bit of post op difficulties. Just make sure you have plenty of herbs & other tempting treats & if she's not pooing/eating by the next day then take her back into the vets. Keep her warm & make sure she has water in a bowl not to far away.

We spay many bunnies at the vets practice where I work and I can only recall one that didn't survive and she wasn't young. Anaesthetics are alot safer than she used to be. I think the key points are:

Get them done whilst they are young and healthy if possible.
Make sure the vet gives good analgesia pre-operatively. i prefer an injection of rimadyl.
A gut stimulant injection will also help.
Make sure they are kept warm during and for a couple of days post-op.
Offer tempting foods such as dandelions immediately. When you get her home monitor bunny to ensure she is eating and pooing. If she isn't doing both by the next day return to the surgery as an emergency. Probiotics such as fibreplex will help to kept the gut moving. G.I. stasis is one of the most dangerous post-op complications.
Bunny will recover more quickly if her pals are nearby but be sure to prevent them from humping or chasing her.
Keep an eye on the wound for discharge, funny smell etc. Make sure she doesn't self-mutilate.

I've only lost two in around 70 neuters, one had a heart defect and the other a uterus full of dead kittens. I've also had high risk bunnies pull through fine...such as one with severe lung scarring from pneumonia.

In a healthy rabbit the risk is minimal with an experienced veterinarian. :)

Thank you! That makes me feel a whole lot better... altho I'll still be a nervous wreck!! She means the world to me!

I have lost count of the bunnies Ive had but not one has died under a GA.As long as your bun is fit and healthy and you have a competent vet please don't worry.:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

I'm sure she will be fine,she's young and healthy.Mind you I always worry myself silly on "op day".Sending lots of vibes for a good recovery:)

My Fudge is 1 year 1 month and is getting spayed sometime this month (i keep putting it off :roll:)
She is really healthy so would she be fine as she is older??

Also would they be able to do a dental on the same day as i would be able to get her done then??

Want it over and done with :(:(

I was so scared on the days leading up to my bunny getting spayed, but she was fine. She was a little older too, actually. I didn't get her spayed until she was 5. Anyway, being nervous is totally understandable, but she should be just fine :)

When I brought my bunny home after the dreaded day she was listless for the rest of the night, but the next day she was eating veggies and back to her happy self.

There is one thing to check though, I believe the safest gas for a bunny to be put under is isoflourene, so I'd want to ask the vet about what gas they use if you're still worried.

I was so scared on the days leading up to my bunny getting spayed, but she was fine. She was a little older too, actually. I didn't get her spayed until she was 5. Anyway, being nervous is totally understandable, but she should be just fine :)

When I brought my bunny home after the dreaded day she was listless for the rest of the night, but the next day she was eating veggies and back to her happy self.

There is one thing to check though, I believe the safest gas for a bunny to be put under is isoflourene, so I'd want to ask the vet about what gas they use if you're still worried.

Thats the gas my vets use and ive done work experience with them so have seen rabbits spays and he is really good!
He normally asks if i want to stay with my bunnies when they go for ops or dentals but i dont know if i want to see her getting opened up but if she where to pass, god forbid, then atleast i would be there with her during her last moments aaggghhh im so scared for her :cry::cry::cry: It needs to get done soon, the quicker its done the quicker she is happy :(

My Fudge is 1 year 1 month and is getting spayed sometime this month (i keep putting it off :roll:)
She is really healthy so would she be fine as she is older??

Also would they be able to do a dental on the same day as i would be able to get her done then??

Want it over and done with :(:(

One isn't old, and yes your vets would do a dental at the same time....all mine had dental checks during their neuters and any required work was done at the time. :)

1yr 10 months is definately not old!!
I had Sooty speyed at 9yrs, and she was fine.
wishing you all the best-Sue:wave:

I'm nervous about getting Tink done because she lives outside on her own :( The Vet has said she will be fine but I'm still a bit unsure what to do.

Bolton babe- I think you should probably wait for better weather if she is an outdoor bunny. She will need to come in for a few days after the op. but I would say not advisable to bring in and put back out when it is so cold. My two does were spayed early November when it was much milder. Wait a few months until the weather improves and then she will be fine. She might like a friend after she has recovered from the spay.:)

I'm nervous about getting Tink done because she lives outside on her own :( The Vet has said she will be fine but I'm still a bit unsure what to do.

I would also wait for warmer weather for an outdoor bun. It is recommended they are brought in for a few nights after the op anyway but unless you are prepared to leave her in till spring I would wait. I tryed to plan mine for when it was warm but before the flys were around.

Bolton babe- I think you should probably wait for better weather if she is an outdoor bunny. She will need to come in for a few days after the op. but I would say not advisable to bring in and put back out when it is so cold. My two does were spayed early November when it was much milder. Wait a few months until the weather improves and then she will be fine. She might like a friend after she has recovered from the spay.:)

Well the plan is to convert the shed into a lovely big rabbit heaven :D That way she can have a rescue husband to keep her company!

I'll wait for warmer weather then, thanks :)

aw bless i was so scared for my buns too but she'll be okay, just give her loads of cuddles and treats when she comes round. sending loads of vibes your way. :love:

iv personally never lost any touch wood so far have had3 females speyed and several males done too i think provided you have an expierinaced vet adn your bun is healthy its fine the risk increases with age but in saying that last year i had a 9yr old speyed and she was fine xxx

Thank you, :love:this thread has helped steady my nerves - i need to get my female bun done in the summer but i get upset just thinking about it:( I'll be a complete wreck on the day:roll:

As mentioned, when you see them playing and racing about you feel you just can't do it too them but then you know it's for the best and you wouldn't forgive yourself if something happened later in life.

Back