• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

she didnt make it :( updated with thanks xx

just gone into dora and diego and dora was huddled in their carrier, she is moving about but not much - she is mouth breathing

phoned vets and they wont see her plus we havent got any cash (and no credit) til tomorrow (i know i know :( but other emergency came up)
i have brought her in to warm her up, should i bring diego too? should i keep them together if we can get to a vets
can i do anything more to help her til we get to the vets
im going to ring around and see if i can get someone to see her

Last edited:
just gone into dora and diego and dora was huddled in their carrier, she is moving about but not much - she is mouth breathing

phoned vets and they wont see her plus we havent got any cash (and no credit) til tomorrow (i know i know :( but other emergency came up)
i have brought her in to warm her up, should i bring diego too? should i keep them together if we can get to a vets
can i do anything more to help her til we get to the vets
im going to ring around and see if i can get someone to see her

When a rabbit is mouth breathing it's serious... and they need veterinary attention asap.

I would keep her warm and make sure she gets to a vet somehow. Could the vets not treat her and let you pay later...

I think vets are legally obliged to see animals so they shouldn't be able to refuse :? I understand your financial predicatment though, but a rabbit that is mouth breathing is very very seriously ill and in a great deal of distress so she really does need to see a vet I'm afraid :? It could be something like sudden onset pneumonia in which case urgent antibiotic treatment will be required. I would keep Diego with her, it will help to keep her less stressed if she is with her friend.

Good luck xx

i know, im trying different vets and i dont care how much it costs :(
waiting to hear back from a local animal hospital

should i have diego with her though, could this break their bond if they are apart?

Yes I would definitely keep them together (sorry I amended my other post after I'd posted it). At the moment I would be less worried about breaking the bond, although that's possible, and more worried that she would become very stressed if separated, and that could make her more poorly. As a rule I would ask if the vet can keep them together if she needs to be admitted, but there may be circumstances where a hospital wants to just keep the poorly one, for example if she needs to be on a drip and there is a risk of the tubes being gnawed. But I would definitely bring Diego in for now and take him to the vets with her. I do hope she is ok xxx

I am sorry to hear about your poorly bun, I do hope you get a vet to see them asap and that it all turns out okay.

can I just ask what is 'mouth breathing?' just like to know these things ...

It's when a rabbit breathes through its mouth instead of through its nose, it is a symptom of severe respiratory distress - for example if there is a chest/airways infection so the nose gets blocked up with mucus and the rabbit cannot therefore get enough air in through their nose. It's a bit like when you get a blocked nose with a bad cold and have to breathe through your mouth, only a rabbit lacks the ability to be able to breathe normally through its mouth and it therefore takes the rabbit great effort and distress.

I do hope this little one is ok xx

She may be mouth breathing due to bloat. The stomach can swell so much that it prevents the lungs from fully expanding.
Whatever the cause mouth-breathing is an emergency and no Vet can refuse to treat.

I do hope you can locate a Vet to help Dora :cry:

sadly dora had to be put to sleep due to pneumonia :cry:
i cant believe i failed her :cry: i shouldve seen earlier, she was ok this morning she was eating and saying hello :(

I am so sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself for not seeing it - rabbits hide their illnesses so well. One minute they are looking and behaving like normal and the next minute they are ill. You did everything you could - she went knowing she was loved.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this :( Acute onset pneumonia happens so very quickly, please don't blame yourself for not acting earlier - as you say, she seemed fine this morning and you took her to a vet as soon as you realised that something was wrong.

Big hugs to you and Diego xxx

I'm so sorry to hear about Dora. :(:( As has already been said, rabbits hide illness so well and you took her to the vets as soon as you noticed she was unwell, so please don't blame yourself. xx

Back