• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit/Guinea-pig neglect – What should I do…..?

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I am an avid rabbit lover, since I own an old English rabbit and a smooth haired guinea-pig who is well looked after and have got all her needs. I am only 16 years old, and I am so grateful that I am a very mature person especially when it comes to any animals, as I have done lots of research about owning a rabbit and I spend all of my pocket money/wages on all of my pets and animal charities. Also I am a member of the RWAF and receive fantastic ‘Rabbiting on’ magazines. Therefore I do have quite a good knowledge about Rabbits and I make sure other people who owns or thinking of getting rabbits have got good advice from me. Well I’m very honest so if I know whoever cannot look after any pets, I tell them don’t you ever think of buying one otherwise I will be contacting the RSPCA.

However I have a massive issue with my Aunty, who has currently got a male un-neutered rabbit and a fully grown guinea-pig in a bloody 3ft or smaller single storey dirty, filthy hutch which was brought as 2nd hand. I’m ****** of with the fact that I’ve given her so many leaflets, booklets and my word of advice to buy them a bigger hutch and look after them properly. I know she hasn’t got the time or money to look after them, because she only bought them for her kids who are 5 and 7. I am so mad because she knows I will ‘probably’ contact the rspca, and I am a huge animal lover and she isn’t doing anything about it. I’ve spent my time researching for a massive 5/6ft hutch on e-bay for her.
:censored:
Lastly, me and my dad are mad at her because we have kindly given her our hand made, 6ft long, 2ft wide triangle run for the to go in everyday. She has barley used it, and her grass are overgrown which are what they just need.
Does she heck bother – no. I know I may sound a mean niece, but there is no excuse not to be able to look after an animal like that, and she should know better.

I know they are not well looked after, because the hutch is absolutely filthy with crawlies and flies in which is rarely cleaned out properly with disinfectant, she does not provide heaps of hay just because ‘they eat it all’, she only feeds them a small dish of just dry mixed guinea-pig foods and they do not go out often. They are locked in that small hutch for almost 24/7.

Now I have had enough, because I feel guilty that I am not doing anything about it, because recently one of their guinea-pig died, who was only 1. They’ve already lost a rabbit and 2 guinea pigs less than 2 years. :cry:

I cannot have them because it is not fair on my mum who looks after my rabbit very well when I am at my boarding school for 5 days. It will too much for her, however if I wasn’t at boarding school I would’ve taken them off her straight away.

Now I honestly don’t know what I should do, so I am asking for your honest and experienced advice?

Thank-you ever so much for your time reading this, and I’m sorry if this is really long! ;)

A rabbit and a guinea pig should not be kept together, anyway, as the rabbit could accidentally kick the guinea pig and kill it.

It's a tricky situation, as it is a family member. What does your mother think? Would she involve the RSPCA, too? I would be too worried about the animals and do somethig about it, although I am nto sure how much the RSPCA would actually do. Depends on the branch, I guess. Maybe your aunt could rehome them to someone who cares about the animals. But then she should not get any new pets after that. If she doesn't do anything, and you don't like her anyway, I would probably report her. Otherwise you'd feel terribly guilty if the animals die of neglect.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I really do feel for you, this is not a nice position to put you in, but never think that you're not a nice niece! She hs obviously chosen to ignore your advice, so as far as I am concerned you've given her plenty of opportunity.

I really feel that their welfare is in danger, if they don't have enough space and as mentioned above they should not be kept together! It also concerns me that they my not have a very good diet.

If past pets of hers have past away being kept in these conditions I feel you should mention that to the RSPCA and tell them that you fear for their lives too. It's not mean, it's perfectly justified.

The only other option would be for you or your parents to offer to rehome them for her as you don't think she iscoping, but if she declines call the RSPCA.

Hope that helps hun x

Have you tried expressing to either your parents or your Aunt just how much this is upsetting you? If they were aware of how much it bothered you then I am sure they would try and help.

Don't feel pressured to rehome these animals yourself, it is a sign of great maturity that you know when "enough is enough" - if only more people were the same.

If this fails then I am afraid an anonymous tip off may be the way to go, you don't sound the type to ignore this so well done you.

I'm sorry but I think the only answer is to contact the RSPCA. Even if means trouble in your family it doesn't sound like anything else is going to work. :?

Have you tried expressing to either your parents or your Aunt just how much this is upsetting you? If they were aware of how much it bothered you then I am sure they would try and help.

Don't feel pressured to rehome these animals yourself, it is a sign of great maturity that you know when "enough is enough" - if only more people were the same.

If this fails then I am afraid an anonymous tip off may be the way to go, you don't sound the type to ignore this so well done you.

Hi,

Thank-you for your post. I agree with what you all have said. What I shall do, is to send her a e-mail regarding her rabbit and guniea-pig, and to offer her my help, so obviously it will be a resonable and kind e-mail since she is my aunty, and supposedly to be quite close to me. However if she decides not to take my last advice I will be contacting the RSPCA for definite.

What a lucky bun to have an owner like you! I agree too that you show great maturity to not take on any more animals because you feel that you couldn't care for them properly - I nearly fainted when I read that! Seriously!

Good girl! You'll do the right thing.

Back