• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is it Not 'Animal Abuse' For a Rabbit Breeder.......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.......to kill unwanted 'stock' by breaking their necks and/or drowning ?

Cant go into details but I need some facts before I take a 'situation' to the RSPCA/Police

I think breaking necks is considered 'ok' because if done properly it should be instant and pain free. Drowning on the other hand is neither of those things and I would think would be considered animal abuse!

.......to kill unwanted 'stock' by breaking their necks and/or drowning ?

Cant go into details but I need some facts before I take a 'situation' to the RSPCA/Police

Oh my god! Uh...well I don't know where the RSPCA stand on killing unwanted 'stock' but I don't think they would be happy about the way they are being killed.

Also there are different laws for commercial breeding and pet/hobby breeding

Thats what I *think* too and this person is a 'hobby breeder'.

6 Rabbits were murdered yesterday, why ? Because they were either too old (3) or did not 'turn out anything useful'..............:evil:

Thats what I *think* too and this person is a 'hobby breeder'.

6 Rabbits were murdered yesterday, why ? Because they were either too old (3) or did not 'turn out anything useful'..............:evil:

oh my gosh jane, thats awful...

I would say that drowning is classed as abuse.. im sure your not allowed to drown mice for that reason...

i agree it should be cruelty x

Also, is it up to individual councils as to whether a licence is needed to sell animals bred as a 'hobby'. What defines 'commercial breeding' ?

i dont agree with this kind of method at all i believe if you brought them into this world you are responsiable to find them homes or keep them till you can find them homes im this does happen alot with the top old breeders maybe you should ask the Brc thier views as well

drowning is definatly animal abuse. i personally think breaking a neck is animal abuse too however i believe the ruling is as its pain free and immediate(supposedly) then it is cruelty free. hmm...

how horrible that you know of this happening and how sad that they were 3years old and still unloved :( :(:(

I think it is a very murky area, which probably comes down to how councils read the rules. It is perfectly legal to grow poulty and the kill it at your own home for eating or because it is no longer laying- no license is required, there are even mechanisim sold to make it easier, although some deem them to be less humane than breaking the neck. With larger birds, like turkeys it is recommended that they are stunned first. Larger animals like livestock, have to be stunned and a license is required. I would suspect rabbits would fall into the same category as poultry, some livestock books we have ( just for animal care info) show pictures on how to kill rabbits and prepare them for meat. It would be abuse to drown them, and I think it would be classed as abuse if the neckbreaking was not instananeous, however you would need to prove it. Unfortunately, as rabbits can be classed as 'livestock', I don't think culling is illegal.:(

How horrid of this breeder! I just couldn't do that to any animal , I was told of someone who does this to guineapigs! breeding them and then killing them is murder in my book.

Rabbits are still considered as pests and for food, rather than pets. If you hunt rabbits, it's legal to break their necks etc, so I don't think it's illegal to do that with commerical animals, although it should be. :evil:

not all breeders treat their animals like this. I am a breeder of Dwarf Lops and they are my Pets not 'stock'. I agree that the way they are killed is unacceptable but you shouldn't judge every breeder out their because only a handful do it.

I have had abuse from people who think i am cruel to breed rabbits when i believe that i do it in a way which is healthy for the rabbit.

Please don't judge someone just because they are breeders

not all breeders treat their animals like this. I am a breeder of Dwarf Lops and they are my Pets not 'stock'. I agree that the way they are killed is unacceptable but you shouldn't judge every breeder out their because only a handful do it.

I have had abuse from people who think i am cruel to breed rabbits when i believe that i do it in a way which is healthy for the rabbit.

Can i just ask, if they are pets first, how comes you PTS two bucks who could have been treated, made a full recovery from Syphillis and lived long pet lives?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but no one actually was stereo typing all breeders this way.

im a breeder also! :wave:
Would never cull any rabbit becoz it isnt good enough, if it were a major health problem that would cause pain to the rabbit or other rabbits i would have to go to my vet kay im afraid and ask for it to be pts.
However i could not do it myself, i just couldnt as ive raised them to whatever point i will always have an attachment to them.
And yes i have recieved quite abit of abuse on here imparticular some was in good aka (when i supplied a garden centre), reason some had no reason just wanted to have a go as you would see in the begining alot of my threads were closed for uproars on them.:roll:
But i think everyone now either accepts me or just doesnt comment on the threads now. Also have had suggestions sent to me about how to improve aswell :D

I personally think drowning is the cruelest method of pts any animal, you cant even imagine the fear they must have :cry:
I have to say though if done properly and quickly i would imagine the instant death of breaking the neck by someone the animal feels happy with, is probably less stressful than being stuck in a pet carrier travelling to the vets, then being in a strange environment with odd smells and other animals, strange noises and being pts on a strange table by hands you dont recognise on your body.
Having said that i dont suppose there is a good way of putting anything to sleep that does not cause the animal some degree of suffering
Not to say i agree with why these poor buns have been pts

Last edited:
Back