• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Five Freedoms, number 3?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering how number 3 is interpreted when treatment is available but the owner chooses to PTS, is there any guidance about when that is "acceptable"?

3, Freedom from pain, injury and disease – by preventing them from getting ill or injured and by making sure animals are diagnosed and treated rapidly if they do.

The official view is that euthanasia is a 'treatment' as such - it is a course of action that prevents suffering so is considered acceptable even if other treatments are available.

Oh thanks :(

I wonder how often vets get asked to PTS healthy animals, I have heard of some cases on here but wonder how widespread it is :?

Oh thanks :(

I wonder how often vets get asked to PTS healthy animals, I have heard of some cases on here but wonder how widespread it is :?

It seems to be a grey area about whether they have to do it or not though, I've never had a definitive answer on this, though I know many vets will ask for the animal to be signed over to them and then contact an appropriate rescue.

I understand that a lot of rabbit owners won't go to the lengths people on here might with more serious problems, but it is heartbreaking to hear of healthy buns being but down for minor, easily and cheaply solved problems :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does the Vet HAVE to accept the owners decision?

No, unless the animal is likely to suffer as a consequence. I've refused to euthanase healthy animals, or those that have a good outlook with treatment, but it's always a tricky situation although luckily not a common problem. If you do refuse then they may take matters into their own hands and in my eyes this is worse than a painless anaesthetic overdose. However, owners will usually accept an offer to rehome the animal rather than a PTS.

Our vets face the same dilema. The problem is, there is often nowhere to put the animals. There aren't many rescues up here, especially for dogs and they are always full. Also many rescues can't take on older animals because they are hard to rehome and may cost a lot on vet bills soon. What are the alternatives if they refuse- the owner either tries to do it themselves or they dump them!:(

Back