• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do we have a fox?

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave: We live in a mid-terraced house. The only access to our back garden is through our house. On 2 sides are 6ft fences and at the back of the garden a 8/9ft wall. Both fences have wire buried under them. Came to the house to paint and went into the garden. I've found several remains of mice and whole ones - they don't look as if it's a cat that's had them. There's also a couple of poos that definatly aren't a cat's :oops: Do you think we've had a visit from Mr Fox? and if we have what do I do?

Sorry to upset you, but 6ft is like a stepping stone for them,... i have 6ft fences and often see foxes clear them effortlessly and jump from the shed to the 8ft back fence, escaping there.

Sorry to upset you, but 6ft is like a stepping stone for them,... i have 6ft fences and often see foxes clear them effortlessly and jump from the shed to the 8ft back fence, escaping there.

So, you do think it's a fox then? The bunnies are still at my Mum's cos we haven't moved back yet. There's no way they can be house pets - Cookie hates being inside (we did try it :cry:) Sooty hasn't been spayed yet - she lives in a Thistle Hall. Cookie (normally)lives in his shed - should I get her spayed sooner and get them bonded and in the shed? There's no chance a fox could get in the shed - it's like Fort Knox :oops:

What are the poos like..if they are like balls and have remains of fur and bone in them could be an owl:? but they rarely drop a body once caught..

If using a Thistle hall add extra bolts as the ones supplied are pants..also find something to cover front with at night
However if you confirm it is a fox I'd get the shed in use quickly

Male urine can help but not a guarantee..don't put it where bunnies run ..just where you think the fox may be entering the garden

Fox poo looks similar to dog poo, and it is very smelly.

I would try and bond them and have them both in the shed, if possible. I think someone said that Thistle Hall hutches are made from rather soft wood, so a fox might be able to chew through it. I have perspex shutters for my hutches, and perspex on three sides and on the lid of the run. But some bunnies can get scared when they see a fox, then it might be better to give them dark shutters at night. I just like the perspex because I can use it during the day when there is rain or I am not at home, then the bunnies can see out and don't sit in the dark.

If you look at my thread in the photo section, you can see our fox. He was in our garden at about 1 pm yesterday, so you need to be careful during the day, too.

I know someone who lost a guinea pig and they had an 8 - 9 foot wall all around their garden which was paved with no areas where it could have hidden. There were no holes and were in an urban area where birds of prey were not usually seen. Foxes had been seen in the park at the end of the road which was 3/4 of a mile away.

Something had got into their garden and the only explanation would be foxes. Therefore I have to totally agree that a 6 foot fence is like a step to a normal size fox

Does the fox watch thing really work, has anyone else used one? I live in an urban area with 6ft fences around my garden and I wouldn't leave my buns out at night but I know there are foxes in the area as well as a large population of wild buns. My son was watching two buns playing on the grass opposite our house the other night when there was a scream. Running in to see what the fuss was my son told me a fox had appeared out of no-where and chased the buns up the street. I would definately invest in one of these if it was really worth the money.

I did have a foxwatch gadget and i think it did help although I wouldn't rely on it. The problem with mine was that the batteries needed charging about every 2 days so i think it was faulty so i think the mains adapter is probably a good idea so long as you keep the wires out of bunny reach! The noise was audible to me and quite unpleasant (like a higher pitched dentists drill)( but the rabbits didn't seem to notice it. By the way i find the best way to tell if it is foxes is to sniff: They leave a terrible smell, similar to dog wee!

I did have a foxwatch gadget and i think it did help although I wouldn't rely on it. The problem with mine was that the batteries needed charging about every 2 days so i think it was faulty so i think the mains adapter is probably a good idea so long as you keep the wires out of bunny reach! The noise was audible to me and quite unpleasant (like a higher pitched dentists drill)( but the rabbits didn't seem to notice it. By the way i find the best way to tell if it is foxes is to sniff: They leave a terrible smell, similar to dog wee!

I've got the mains adapter which makes a big difference.

Ideally I'd get the rabbits in the shed.
If you do put the rabbits in the garden in your Thistle Hall I'd get some 1" mesh weld and fix it over the wire that's already in the hutch.

We had one of these hutches donated to the rescue recently and noticed that where the rabbits chew the wood surrounding the mesh it gets really weak and is easy to push through.

Personally I double up on mesh on my runs and have it inside and outside of the frames.

Back