• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

emergency??

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi

Twinkle and Dobbin have had a few pellets every day since we got them, we just went to give them there pellets and papaya tablet. Dobbin was fine and ate them all up where as Twinkle would not touch them. However she did eat some grass and hay with no persuasion. Should i be worried? Need to take her to vets? Does anyone have any ideas please?
Thank you
Sue
xx

As long as she is eating something which she is with the grass and hay I wouldn't worry too much, mine sometimes don't eat their pellets.
If they continue not eating and stop eating the grass and hay i would get her checked out.

Is she eating a normal amount of hay or just picking at it? Does she seem her normal self or a bit flat? Will she eat veg?

Hay should be 90% of a buns diet, so if she's eating a lot of hay I wouldn't be concerned.

If she seems flat though, or is only picking at the hay and not eating much I'd get her checked by a vet asap.

Are her teeth ok?

:wave: Hi, i wouldnt worry too much, as long as she is eating.Id just keep an eye on her, plus hay is the best thing for her.Debx

she ate a chunck of carrot we gave her and eating hay and grass as if its going out of fashion!!

Sue
xx

That's fine then. I wouldn't be concerned. Sounds like she just doesn't like the pellets.

Hay is the best thing she could eat.

Personally I'd just double check she's pooing - in stasis it's usually the poo that slows up then stops first, then the eating. Chances are it's fine - I'd just want to double check at the pooing end! :)

hello

Thank you all for your concern - she is the same today - eating everything apart from her pellets, my husband managed to get her to take her papaya this morning biut under protest! should i change the type of pellet? Do you think she is bored with that type? Will it give her a poorly tuny if i change it though? Sorry so many questions!!

Sue
xx

P.S Yes she is pooing fine.

:wave: Only just seen this - hello! I always remember Dobbin fondly from when you first came here, he's one of my long time faves :)

I would suggest a vet check would be in order, often the refusal of a particular type of food indicates a dental problem - if there is one type of food that seems to irritate a forming spur, for example, they may stop eating that type of food and carry on with everything else. Best get it checked out, if there is a problem starting to irritate her it would be better and safer to get it dealt with earlier rather than when she stops eating altogether!

Good luck, hope she's ok xxx

I agree - it might be nothing, but sounds like something might be up to me. Definitely worth a check for peace of mind, if nothing else.

Back