• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do any bunnies actually "enjoy" and "want" to be picked up?

Nala's Mummy

Young Bun
Nala my house bunny is so gorgeous and perfect in every way, I love her to bits...which makes it even harder because I really want to give her cuddles. She LOVES attention, being stroked and massaged but if I go anywhere near her tummy & bum to pick her up she skips away. I know her previous owner never handled her and so she's never been used to it, and I know her fosterer did try to handle her but the thing is I don't want to force her to do something she doesn't want...if that makes sense? She's such a good girl at the vets and thats the only time where she doesn't want me to put her down!
The question I have is should I persevere and be firmer with her and then hopefully she will learn to like it? Or should I just leave her happy little madame self be with her floor massages?

she sounds like my housebun nemo ... he doesnt like being picked up either but will sit all day by my side if hes getting stroked and fussed ...

some buns just never like being off the ground ...although they may learn to tolerate it with perseverence ;)

my house rabbit Marley doesn't like being picked up either but he will happily sit for strokes or jump up on the sofa/bed to be petted.

we decided not to pick him up unless we have to (giving meds or taking him to the vet etc) and he seems much happier since we stopped picking him up and also seems to trust us more.

i know how you feel though, he is so cute that is just want to cuddle him!:love::love:

I have only had two other bunnies before, they were outdoor bunnies and tolerated being picked up but I don't think they enjoyed it as such and we didn't lift them very often.

I think that as rabbits are always on the ground in the wild and the mothers don't pick up their young, that as a whole they don't like being picked up but will tolerate it, but I'm sure that there are some bunnies out there who do enjoy it

Ronnie hates being picked up :? He'll sit on our lap and have a fuss, but if we go to pick him up he hops away :lol:

Lolly on the other hand, loves being picked up :love: She'll sit in our arms for ages!

The outdoor buns prefer all 4 feet on the ground :) xXx

:wave: Hi, Roo my black bun used to hate being picked up, but now hes a poppet:D.He loves a cuddle now, so did my bridge-bun Billy he was a proper snuggly bun.But Poppy:roll: hates, detests being picked up.Im trying to pick her up everyday just briefly, so i can check her over especially for when she gets spayed.Debx

of my 2 pairs, both boys usually don't mind being picked up

the boys love attention and will sit still and lie flat whilst being stroked

once they are relaxed, they are happy to be picked up, and don't show any sign of stress whilst being carried, their ears are pricked up and all inquisitive

the girls however, don't really like it, fifi has always hated being handled, she just about tolerates being stroked (having had her for 4 years), and bonnie is a bit better, but given the choice she would be elsewhere

these days, their incentive for being carried is that they get picked up from their greenhouses, and deposited in the big pens in the garden (imagine a lawn the size of a big double bedroom) with lots of undergrowth to hide in and play for several hours, so the girls are warming to it a bit more

when its dark and they have to go back home, its a different matter :?

dora and arthur hate being picked up but enjoy being stroked(well arthur does dora is a grumpy madam) if i sit in the garden with them they come to me and hop up onto my lap for a fuss.. its got to be on thier terms!!!!! coco doesnt mind but he also prefers being on his own terms regarding jumping onto me rather than being picked up and does so indoors onto the sofa or outdoors if i sit on a mat. he loves being stroked.

chelsea(mums rabbit) hates to even be touched.. she litrally crawls away she so isnt scared she jsut only likes rabbits adn not humans!:roll:
i think it really depends on the bunny. my previous bunny snowy loved cuddles and loved being picked up oh if only all bunnys would be so easy!!!!!! x

Mine will both tolerate being picked up - they don't struggle when I'm holding them, and aren't particularly hard to pick up but I can tell that they don't really enjoy it.

My buns hate been picked up - but will happily sit there all day being fussed! I think they call the shots!:shock:

My bucks love a big cuddle, but my doe's not so much!! they will come and lay next to us for strokings and head rubbings lol x

i have to say my teddy gets the hump if i don't pick her up and cuddle her when i get home. she loves being carried around. but i've did that since she was 9 weeks old.

dora and diego at first didnt like to be picked up and with perseverance but without restraint, we learned that the best way to pick them up is swiftly into a "baby cradle" position (i dont mean on their backs)...then immediately stroke between their ears and down the crevice in their neck, you must get them into a secure position fast as they feel unsafe being lifted.. but once they start to struggle, just lower yourself and let them jump off, never make them feel you are restraining them and never put your hand on the females bum or tummy...with time they will stay on you longer each time....also to gain their trust kneel down near them and lower yourself into a ball, they will come over and investigate maybe jump around on you a bit (dora loves "piggy back rides") then you can approach them and (yes this is weird but...lol)....rub your nose around their ears and down their back....soon you will gain their full trust just as we have.:D

I've had a few buns who enjoyed being held...only when they chose to be though!

Ferris will actually sometimes jump into my arms if I bend down...although she's mis-timed the jump before and cracked me on the head instead :lol:

Herbie will tolerate being picked up, but I know he doesn't like it. He loves a cuddle, but likes to keep his feet on the floor. :D

Milly did..but only on her terms! If I went to pick her up she would move away from me, but if she was in the mood she would scrabble at my legs until she was picked up. This only ever happened at night while I was watching TV and only when I was wearing my "cuddly" dressing gown. The other buns hate being picked up, but when they've been picked up they settle down.

Denim (looking for a home:D) loves being picked up and fussed

Also a permanent Honeybunny, Harvey, will actually ask to be picked up by climbing on your arms:love: He's a real cuddle monster

Back