• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People who have hamsters - what cage?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
What cage do you have for a syrian hamster? The RSPCA seems to recommend 75x40 cm which seems huge - lots of people keep guinea pigs in ones that size (not that they should of course). Have found a few on zooplus but they are pretty expensive.

Here's mine

000_0061.jpg

Love the cage Fran!! Here is my hamsters cage. Its a gabber Rex. I won it on Ebay for only £16 plus £10 delivery. :)

DSC05413Small.jpg

DSC05414Small.jpg

They are great thanks - think I prefer the wire top ones as I love it when they climb up the bars! Got to look for one with a white base if possible as H is not too keen on a bright one, he thinks it'll look more untidy!

It might be nice to see them climbing the bars but not so good when they are chewing them at 4am! :D

Rotastak

Does anyone remember rotastak? does it still exist? I used to have hamsters ...I had 5 in fact and thy loved their rotastak mansions...I even made a hole in a normal cage and had a tube going from their rotastak to a wired cage too! I miss my hamsters they were very cute!

I had my hamster in a zoozone 2.
Alot of people think that because a hamster is small they don' need alot of room but naturally in the wild a hamster will run for 3 miles a night to find food, they are very active when awake and need alot of space.

Rabbits002.jpg

Rabbits003.jpg

That guideline really is not big, in my view. I've got a Syrian in a Rody Rabbit, which is just under 1 metre long (98 cm or something!). It's a great size, and I don't think I'd want to go much smaller, if at all.

It's a 110 litre bin tub, a tenner from Homebase :D

Drilled a load of ventilation holes in it and wired the lid. Hubby made a basic second level from wood we already had.

Dead easy to make and you can buy whatever size you like :D

It's a 110 litre bin tub, a tenner from Homebase :D

Drilled a load of ventilation holes in it and wired the lid. Hubby made a basic second level from wood we already had.

Dead easy to make and you can buy whatever size you like :D

oo sounds good, thankyou, I'll give it a try!Im sure we have some boxes like that somehwere in the house:D

have just been looking at the zoozone 1 (which is about as big as we can fit in the space available). Bun Bun - have you added any mesh to the bars on the lid or anything? I can't see how a hammy could climb up there but have been reading other forums etc and they seem to think a hamster could potentially escape between the bars? I will definitely get the biggest cage I can manage.

have just been looking at the zoozone 1 (which is about as big as we can fit in the space available). Bun Bun - have you added any mesh to the bars on the lid or anything? I can't see how a hammy could climb up there but have been reading other forums etc and they seem to think a hamster could potentially escape between the bars? I will definitely get the biggest cage I can manage.

I thought the same that there is no way a hamster is climbing up those smooth sides, until the hamster went missing and I found her asleep in a shoe in my wardrobe :lol: After that we did add fine mesh to the roof bars.

Haha, will definitely need mesh then if I go for that one! My hammy when I was a child always used to escape and make it's way upstairs to the bathroom for some reason! Just got to see if I can find it in white to keep H happy - I love the pink one but don;t think he'll go for that. How did you fasten the mesh on?

We turned the entire house upside down and could not find her, finally decided to check the wardrobe (has quite a high base and didn;t think she could get up it) and there she was.
A few weeks ater we moved a bookcase and underneath in my brand new carpet was a great big hole she chewed! :censored:

My Rody Rabbit cage is meshed - it was a bit of a pain to do, but at least only has to be done once.

Back