• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cystitis

willowholly

Mama Doe
B has got cystitis bad at mo well thats what the vet is treating her for as she has similar symptoms to last year.She was straining and digging lots yest and vet gave her a metcam and baytril injection.Got 5days of baytril here to give her-have to try and hide it on feed as she wont take it straight in mouth.Shes washing and eating hay all the time.Have changed her to a wet diet and she has pineapple in her water.she seems slightly better today in the fact that shes not straining today and have found at least 2small puddles of wee but her back legs aren't right,shes almost walking rather than hopping and she cant get on the sofa at all.She doesn't seem in pain as shes laid out full stretch snoring,but somethings not right.She never had the hind leg problem before with cystitis-anybody any ideas?Shes going back to vets mon if no improvement.She had E cunniculi test last year which was negative which was when the cystitis was diagnosed.

have you tried putting cranberry in her water? It's great for humans that have cystis & I imagine probably works in the same way for bunnies. The other thing would be a probiotic with vitamin c.....both will make the water more acidic & may have a slight effect on her urine PH which will make it less hospitable to bacteria. The cranberry also clings to the urinary tract & bladder & has anti bacterial properties.

you will need to give quite a bit of cranberry for it to work so try & find one with a high concentration of cranberries & low in sugar as you don't want to upset her tum. You can also buy dried cranberries which some buns love.

If peeing is casuing pain she might have a ful bladder which is making her walk funny. I guess I wouldn't personally rely on it not being EC & probably treat her with panacur anyway just in case.

She needs to be on Metacam daily, at least for a few days.
One negative EC test does not necessarily mean that she does not have it. It may have been taken too soon after infection with the protozoal parasite for an Immune response to register in the blood test. A second test is usually needed 30 days after the first one in a Bun displaying EC-like symptoms. Only if the second test is negative could you be reasonably confident that EC is not involved.

Did the Vet test a wee sample or submit one to the Lab for MC+S testing ?

Has bladder sludge/stones been excluded from the diagnosis?

I hope your Bun recovers soon

i made the mistake of giving dried cranberries last year and it did more harm than good and vet said no dried fruit at all.She is also having probiotics on her food.
Last Feb she had blood and urine tests.Dont think shes in pain as she is doing normal things ie washing playing etc but I do think she is in discomfort as shes not hopping well.I am taking her back to vets tomorrow and going to see if they will hospitalise her like they did last time cos shes a ****** to get antibiotics in and then they can do more tests.She has weed quite abit today[not as much as normal]but then shes not drank today so Ive been giving her slices of wet food every hour to get some fluids in.She does seem slightly better in the fact that she hopped out of cage and has been exploring.Would she be as lively if it was something other han cystitis?If it was E C wouldn't she have been ill before now-its over a year since last bout.

One of my bunnies had cystitis regularly. When neither antibiotics nor homeopathic remedies didn't work anymore, we started giving him a vitamin C supplement - which sorted the problem out for good. Might be worth considering with your bunny.

Vera

Back