• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People's thoughts - heater in bunny shed? Piccies

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Was very concerned about the buns last night as it was absolutely freezing. Now the buns have loads of hay and straw and two snugglesafes but it doesn't stop me worrying. Anyway me and my OH went to Currys today and saw this heater...it is not a fan heater - just heats up like a radiator.

058.jpg

It was only about £9.00. There is a bracket at the back of it so you can screw it to the back of the shed wall. My OH would then drill a hole through the back wall and put the lead through which would then lead into the garage which is at the back of the bunny shed for power. The heater would only be on low so it just takes the edge of the cold.

What do people think - does anybody have anything similar?

Last edited:
It looks like it could be dangerous if you split water on it whilst cleaning out the buns, or if they sprayed it with wee! A splash-proof greenhouse heater with a thermostat would probably be a safer option :)

I wouldn't use a heater of that type in a bunny shed, it has an exposed element so it could cause a fire if any hay/straw/fur etc got into it, which is possible even if it's mounted high up. They also get quite hot in the immediate vicinity of the heater so it could potentially burn the shed. Sorry :oops:

I think if you give them plenty of bedding, hay and straw they'll be fine. Mine cope much better in the cold than when it's really hot.

I have 2 tubular heaters - both are on timers and only go on of a night. Use one on a not too cold night but this week both have been on.

Before we installed our heaters in the guinea shed i looked at those ones and wondered if they would be ok, but my hubbys electrician said the best thing to use is tubular heaters. I now have them in all the piggie houses they are great, at first we had them on a timer but now we have them on a thermostat so it never drops below 10 degrees.

i got mine at screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43699...Suntube-180W-Tube-Convector-Commercial-Heater

Thank you for all your comments. I think I'll probably take it back - don't want to take the risk. Like the look of the tubular heaters though so will probably pop into screfix tomorrow. Are they quite effective then? Can you set it at a particular temperature?

Hi

The tubular heaters are just one heat but you can get different sizes. I got mine from Argos, one last year but it has been so cold this year I bought an additional one. I have them atached high in their wendy house so they can't reach them and all wires are out of the way.

It does not get really warm in there, it just really takes the edge off in this cold weather.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...00001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=tubular+heater

Edit - Hmmmmm just looked at Screwfix and me thinks I got ripped off by Argos:roll:!

Last edited:
Back