• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spot three bunnies and more.....

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I had just come in to get a bag of hay, and when I was about to open the garden door again, I spotted this squirrel impostor. Can you see it? :D

foxy2.jpg

So if you think foxes are only about at night and in the countryside, and can't jump high, think again. I had been out in the garden for quite a while, there are noisy builders in the garden diagonally across the back from us, and we are not in the countryside. Whenever I go out or can't watch the garden for a while, I put the perspex shutter in front of the hutch, just in case. So far the foxes have not tried to get into any of the hutches, but some day there might be a more determined one. I need to think of a better solution for the foster bunnies, too, as I can't let them run around unless I am out in the garden. They will need to go in a smaller but secure run when I am working indoors. Better safe than sorry.

:shock:Oh My!

I actually think that countryside foxes are less of a threat to pet rabbits that urban ones are. I live near lots of fields and woods yet have never seen a fox nearby. Maybe it's because they have enough prey in the wild therefore don't have a need to come near humans property.

:shock:
yikes - scary bananas - have got two of mine out in the garden just now - will move my seat nearer the window so I can see them better :shock:

yup ive caught mr fox sitting on top of bunnies hutch granted at 4am but frosty wakes me up with her huge thumps tiz scary i did actually watch to see exactly what he would, obviously if he started to attempt to get in i would of been out bucket of water ready but he didnt he just sat there then got spooked by frostys loud thumps and run off, they are sly he did come bk 4 nights in a row after that but i was out arms flapping etc havent seen him for a while now and frosty has been quiet,

My bunnies hadn't even noticed the fox, they were munching hay. Sometimes they thump, when they can actually see a fox or a cat, but usually they are not bothered.
Luke started to thump a few nights ago, he is indoors, and I thought his eyes were not the best, but when I switched on the garden flood light, I saw a fox by the pond. Probably Luke had some bad experiences with foxes in his previous home. :(

I had just come in to get a bag of hay, and when I was about to open the garden door again, I spotted this squirrel impostor. Can you see it? :D

foxy2.jpg

So if you think foxes are only about at night and in the countryside, and can't jump high, think again. I had been out in the garden for quite a while, there are noisy builders in the garden diagonally across the back from us, and we are not in the countryside. Whenever I go out or can't watch the garden for a while, I put the perspex shutter in front of the hutch, just in case. So far the foxes have not tried to get into any of the hutches, but some day there might be a more determined one. I need to think of a better solution for the foster bunnies, too, as I can't let them run around unless I am out in the garden. They will need to go in a smaller but secure run when I am working indoors. Better safe than sorry.

Excellent post BB !!

Everytime a read a post on hear saying 'our garden is secure and we never see Foxes' I think 'you might just find out the hard (and tragic :cry:) way that if you allow your Bun unsupervised free range time or have open topped runs you are taking a huge risk'...............:cry:

Mr Fox was sitting on my doorstep this morning :evil:

Everytime a read a post on hear saying 'our garden is secure and we never see Foxes' I think 'you might just find out the hard (and tragic :cry:) way that if you allow your Bun unsupervised free range time

Yup it makes me cringe too...I learnt that the hard way many years ago...I had been saying "we have lived here for 8 years and never seen a fox" but one day after all that time we suddenly did have a fox...and no rabbits :cry:

With all the snow now, it was possible to see how many animals actually come through the garden while we are not looking. There were fox and cat prints, and a lot of bird and squirrel ones, too. Last year I found several decapitated frogs in our garden, in the middle of the lawn. :(

We gets loads more foxes around in winter as well. I think it must be mating season atm because I keep hearing those awful shrieking calls they make to other foxes.

Yes, and they think they have to do that in our front garden, just outside our bedroom window. :roll:

The only bunny who was really bothered by the foxes, and also the badgers that are nextdoor sometimes, was Percy. He was also the loudest thumper I have had so far. But he seems to have calmed down and feels safe among all the other bunnies at Helen's now. :D

I remember we had a fox visit one night when I was fostering Dave, the French lop. I think he must have woken the whole neighbourhood up with his thumping, and because the hutch was above the run it sounded like a giant drum at 4am :lol:

I remember we had a fox visit one night when I was fostering Dave, the French lop. I think he must have woken the whole neighbourhood up with his thumping, and because the hutch was above the run it sounded like a giant drum at 4am :lol:

Oh dear! :lol: Percy's hutch was on top of a big sturdy table, but there was a gap between the hutch and the table, and that makdes everything sound much louder. And he's a big boy, too.

I was woke up this morning by a dog trying to get into my rabbit cages,I fired a shotgun in the air and it scared him off,I hope he took the hint!

Back