• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wrong info in a vet nurse book.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
My friend lent me her vet nurse book on exotics and wildlife. It has some interesting info, but what worries me is that is states that only 50% of a rabbits diet should be hay, i thought it was supposed to be about 80%, or an I wrong. You then begin to suspect the rest of the advice.

It also give notes about guinea pig health, but at no point mentions ovarian cysts, which is quite common I thought. I also doesn't mention the risk of breeding a previously unbred guinea pig over a year old.

I find this very scary, and it is no wonder some vets get bad press if this is the information given out. I mean, its not really medical is it, its basic knowledge and if this is what a book is saying, they have no chance really.

I agree. I am doing an animal course and we use some veterinary books. Some info is wrong (IMO) in them, but suprisingly, I've found loads of correct information on rabbits (especially diet and nutrition). It may be turning around. :)

My friend lent me her vet nurse book on exotics and wildlife. It has some interesting info, but what worries me is that is states that only 50% of a rabbits diet should be hay, i thought it was supposed to be about 80%, or an I wrong. You then begin to suspect the rest of the advice.

It also give notes about guinea pig health, but at no point mentions ovarian cysts, which is quite common I thought. I also doesn't mention the risk of breeding a previously unbred guinea pig over a year old.

I find this very scary, and it is no wonder some vets get bad press if this is the information given out. I mean, its not really medical is it, its basic knowledge and if this is what a book is saying, they have no chance really.

Is the book quite old as I have thrown away all my old rabbit books since they advised this in the last issue of Rabbiting On as the information can be out of date.

My vet recommend 90% hay. BUt I suppose we are lucky if they eat 80%. 1 of my bun does about 90%, the other one is definitely below 90%

Back