• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pigs

I am thinking of homing at least two guinea pigs. I am not someone to just take on any pet without first doing some research, so just wondered if some of you who have piggies could give me some advise..... food, vaccinations, worming, housing etc. Thanks.

I absolutely love my guinea pigs.:love: They are wonderful pets full of character.Mine are always squeeking at me for food :roll: They dont need vaccinations like rabbits. Mine are kept in large indoor rabbit cages inside my shed. As for feeding them mine are fed a dry mix with lots of hay and veggies. I started of with one now i have 7 adults plus babies as i breed them.

I currently have 2 unused hutches and would like to convert my shed so my rabbits had half and guineas had the other half with access to separate runs etc.

Guineas are adorable. I have kept guinea pigs all my life and they are so vocal. Unfortunately I have got the squeak down to a fine art and can set them off squeaking and talking to me.

I can recommend Pete Gurneys books (The Proper Care of Guinea Pigs and piggy potions) and website:
http://www.petergurney.com/

Hope you get some piggies. We have got quite a few rescues in at the moment and I keep them in the house in winter as they have 'hair' rather than 'fur'.

If you like watching a rabbit binky then wait until you see a guinea pig doing a popcorn!! It's fabulous!

Last edited:
I am thinking of homing at least two guinea pigs. I am not someone to just take on any pet without first doing some research, so just wondered if some of you who have piggies could give me some advise..... food, vaccinations, worming, housing etc. Thanks.

I am still quite new to guineas myself but do know they are so cute. I feed mine unlimited pellets and veg twice a day and as a rabbit would they need fresh hay available at all times. A pair need at least 4x2 ft with run. They arnt very good with cold weather so either need to be in the house, shed or outbuilding of some type. They shouldnt go on damp ground so a run cant be used outside in the winter. Worming is personal choice as I know some people on the guinea pig sister site to this worm others not. Vaccinations arnt given. A popcorn from a pig is so cute and is guaranteed to make you laugh.

I've kept piggies indoors for 8 years now. I love having them indoors, as they are really part of the family - every time they hear my voice they wheek at me. It's the best way to keep them at a constant temperature too. The down side is the mess - they do make a fair bit, with hay etc, plus they need quite a lot of cleaning (I do daily spot cleans).

Hay should be about 80% of their diet, and pellets a very low %. I find that the healthiest fresh food is grass, although obviously it isn't very available this time of year (I buy indoor grass seeds from http://planetguinea.co.uk/) I do feed veggies too, but grass is great.

Hello- :wave:! I love guineas - I had several when I was younger (2 girls that I bought from a pet shop pregnant that soon made 10(!)
I'm planning to get a pair of guineas in the near future - just in the process of making a nice spacious indoor cage, getting all the food, bedding and hay together.
I've seen some gorgeous ones on Guinea Pig Rehome - 9 month old boars. I've also seen some very little male babies that are around 9 weeks. Do you think they would get on well together? I've read a lot into the matter and it seems that younger boars and older ones can get on well- it's just mixing adolescent and adult boars that's the problem.
The rescue centre that I saw the 9 month old boars on mentioned that they keep them in pens next to eachother but obviously not together. Do you think it's fair on them in the long run just to live next to another pig or should they be appropriately paired up?

Sorry for jumping on this thread with my own questions! :lol:

Back