• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving eyedrops ... any tricks?

Woodlouse

Mama Doe
:wave: As the title says ... anyone got any good tricks for giving eyedrops to buns?

We've got the Baytril sorted ... can do that no prob :) But vet has advised eyedrops (Tiacil) as contain different antibiotic.

All suggestions gratefully received!!! Thanks x

Not sure this is much help but - I got my daughter to hold the bun, and then pulled the upper eyelid up and squirt FAST. I must admit this was on a bun with poor eye sight (laura):?
I hope someone has a better idea for you

with lea I gently held open her top eye lid & put the drops in the corner of her eye then closed & rubbed. She wasn't much of a wiggler & was small enought to hold in one hand & drop with the other & sort of support her using my arm but you might need to hold hoops head close to your chest & support her bottom as usual & get ross to put the drps in if she's not keen.

With my French lop I used to get on the floor and give him nose rubs until he was all sleepy and gently pull his eye lid up and drip them in and keep rubbing his head and he knew nothing had happened.LOL. Good luck.

I had to give my male cream in his eye a few weeks ago. I wrapped him in a towel on the floor and my other half held him while i lift his upper lid up and put it in. They i closed his eye and gently rubbed it to spread it out. He is a fidgty rabbit but seemed fine with this.

I always had small bunny... I put them on the ironning table (at it is higher position) ... though they are quite manageable, so I can do it alone.
I stucked their head between the thumb and the second finger ... I don't know how to explain: stretch down as when they are asking to be pet (the i am the boss, pet me thing!)

Can you hold them easily?
If so (im right handed) but put bun kinda as though front legs of bun are on your right shoulder holding bot with left arm.
use your thumb right hand to pull down lower eyelid and squirty drop with fingers. Rub eye sorted!
We have to do this twice a day.
My o/h puts her between his legs as though hes sitting on her (kneeling) trapping her quickly squirts sorted.

I've never had a problem just pulling the lower eye lid out and dropping the mdication into the pocket this creates then letting go and gently rubbing the eyelids to distribute the drops across the surface of the eye. I also find Tiacil easier to give than Fucithalmic due to it's consistancy.

:lol::lol:I found fucithalmic easier than tiacil :) possibly because I found the tube easier with my clutzy hands.

Back