• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lice!

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Took Jazz and Gizmo for their myxi vaccs last week and the vet spotted some brown lice and treated them with xeno (sp) Looked this morning and they still have them :( how long does this stuff take to work and can I do anything else to get rid of them/ stop them from getting any more? I clean out every day!! could they be in the bark on the ground?

I found this:
Infestation of lice can also be a problem but unlike fleas lice will lay their eggs in your rabbit’s fur. The eggs are white and stick to the fur with a natural glue-like substance. They show up particularly well on dark-coated rabbits but will be noticed on any fur during grooming. Lice can be destroyed by a specially prepared insecticide powder supplied by your vet but it is only effective when the maker’s instructions are followed exactly. Several applications are usually necessary to eliminate succeeding generations of lice emerging from the eggs.

Perhaps you need another application of the treatment?

:wave:

Its driving me mad :( I litrally have no money.. have to get a credit card I think. The only thing I have changed recently, is they are getting hay from pets at home for bedding now... never used to, could they of got it from the hay?

Its driving me mad :( I litrally have no money.. have to get a credit card I think. The only thing I have changed recently, is they are getting hay from pets at home for bedding now... never used to, could they of got it from the hay?

I know how you feel - although *touch wood* none of my animals have any problems atm, they're costing me a fortune! If Phoebe needs a dental anytime soon, i don't know how i'll pay for it - beg or borrow i suppose :(

Anyway, i *think* i remember reading that lice can be found in hay (i thought Hugo had lice once & did a bit of research - turns out it was a flea i'd found on him :roll:)

:lol:

It's been a while since I treated any for lice, but I think it's 3 separate treatments, each 7 to 10 days apart.

Xeno is very expensive, especially if you buy it from the vet. Ivermectin isn't a POM so you can buy it via the internet or from large pet shops and veterinary chemists.

Re. the source of the lice...it could be hay, but more likely to be something they've always had in fewer numbers, and have recently multiplied.

Xenex ultra is made by the same company and treats external parasites, including lice. It's alot cheaper than xeno 450 (at my vets anyway).

Back