• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving medication orally/Metacam Question

Rose

Mama Doe
Ive put this in my oringinal thread about Molly but ill put it here too.

I need some tips on giving Molly her medication orally, she need 2 lots and water by syringe. Any tips my mum will be helping me.

Last edited:
What medication is she having, some, like Metacam, taste pretty good and will often be taken willingly.

Bumping this up, because i need help in this area too! My bunny takes Metcam happily...but was a nightmare last night for the Drontal, which i can only assume does not taste nice!
The best way ive found is to tuck them in a towel. Here is a pic of my bunny in a towel at the vets, as he does not like getting his back teeth checked out!
However you do have to have the towel quite tight and the correct way..or they just wiggle out! So any other ideas out there are welcome becuase mine is a wiggler!!!:lol:
PIC_0803.jpg

Snug as a bug in a rug!

The reply above is how i do it too..

Put the towel down and the bunny about 1 quarter of the way on it..
fold about two inches of towel over her front paws and wrap the short end over her then using your arm put the other side over and put your forearm on the loose end and pull real tight (dont stop her breathing tho)then lift her up and pull the towel all the way under her.

What medication is she having, some, like Metacam, taste pretty good and will often be taken willingly.

She was ok with the metacam at the vets but didnt like the baytrail (sp?) much or the water :roll:

Tried-and-tested method with Baytril : draw up small amount of fresh pineapple juice in syringe (0.2ml say) then the Baytril and then a little more pineapple juice. They like the taste and it's then easy to give them the meds, followed by a nice taste to wash it down! HTH x

I've recently had to give Baytril. My rabbit was having none of it, until we had her in our arms on her back, and then squirt in short squirts in her mouth. Not ideal, but it worked for us.

When I had to give my giant bun baytril i put it in a basil leaf then put a mint leaf on top,he gobbled it down.Personally I find it easier to have the injectable baytril

Administering oral medication

Spinach!!!

We have treated a female rabbit for cystitus and administered worm deterrant (can't remember the name) on spinach leaves. On each occasion we dispensed the medication from the dosing sysringe directly onto spinach leaves and hand feb the rabbit in question, it always works really well. (even with medicine that is usually dispensed in water). The big advantage, in a multi bunny environment, is that you know the right rabbit has had the correct dose of medication.

We did check with the vet if he was happy for us to dispense this way - he was bemused but could see no reason why not.

I've recently had to give Baytril. My rabbit was having none of it, until we had her in our arms on her back, and then squirt in short squirts in her mouth. Not ideal, but it worked for us.

This is actually a really dangerous way to administer anything to a Rabbit orally.
They are at real risk of aspirating the medication.
Ask your Vet/Vet nurse to show you how to safely restrain any Rabbit you need to give oral medication to or any Rabbit you have to syringe feed.

Aspiration can lead to a fatal pneumonia :cry:

Mine will eat Baytril on pellets. Metacam off a spoon. A probiotic added to the water gets mine to drink a lot. There are two suggested mixes, one with 100 ml and one with 200 mls. When I put one scoop of Avipro into 100 mls, she will drink the lot in one go.

Is yours not drinking. Will she drink from a bowl?

Back