• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who are you

chrispatch

New Kit
Anyone got any ideas of a way of marking one of my 2 rabbits so I can easily identify one from the other. They are brother and sister, both neutered,and when together I can see a slight difference but when running loose it is a job. I don't like any collar idea, but wondered if a safe dye or something to make a small mark is possible.

I had to put a small felt tip mark on the ears of a pair of identical siblings I had in once, so the vets could tell them apart during neutering. :lol:

I know some breeders have marked their kits in the ear...not sure what they used though.
All my bunnies have show-tattoos in the ear (although they're easy to tell apart, the mom is brown, father is black and the son is white:lol: but I did have a second son who looked just like his dad...then the tattoos were pretty useful), maybe you could ask your vet to put a number in there just to tell them apart?

Its a good thing you're not using collars as they can in fact be dangerous.
The rabbits can get stuck in something and choke, even special rabbit-harnesses have warnings on them that they are not to be used unattended.

hmmm, dye one pink lol! i dont know, i would have recommended collars, maybe cut a tiny patch of fur so noticable but not erm whats the word... ahh like dont cut to the skin obviously lol! oh i dont know brian not functioning!

In the past with foster litters of rats who've looked the same, I'd dipped tails in a smidge of food colouring to tell them apart, until I got to know their different quirks and little physical differences. Could 'paint' the inside of the ear, or even snip a bit of fur from one patch of the bun (carefully - use a flat comb kept between the skin and the scissors as bunnies have very thin stretchy fur that may be easy to cut accidentally)

We used food dye to colour the ears of my Dopeys when they went to the vets. Worked a treat, lol.

In the past with foster litters of rats who've looked the same, I'd dipped tails in a smidge of food colouring to tell them apart, until I got to know their different quirks and little physical differences. Could 'paint' the inside of the ear, or even snip a bit of fur from one patch of the bun (carefully - use a flat comb kept between the skin and the scissors as bunnies have very thin stretchy fur that may be easy to cut accidentally)

I have cut a small tuft off the bucks back but it is still not very noticeable, I also trimmed its big tail to make it show a lot more white but when it is facing me that doesn't help. I did think of food dye but wasn't sure if it would be safe if they groomed each other.

Hey Chris do you think the same would work with human brothers and sisters who look like each other ;)

good idea on the food colouring as i have the same problem with two babies that are blue and look indentical, mind oyu its easy at the moment as one has something stuck on its head and i cant wash it off (yep its poo )

I had this problem with my degu, then I noticed George had a very small nip in one of his ears, so now i just have to examine the ears to figure out who i'm holding :lol:

Back