• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned At All These Snow Bunnies

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I know rabbits that have lived outside can cope with the snow and some really enjoy it..

but I am a bit concerned at the pics we are seeing of indoor bunnies out in the snow:(

If you keep your pet as a housebunny please don't put them outside to take nice pics...changing them from warm to cold..indoor to out at this time of year..can lead to respitory problems..

I think it would depend on the indoor environment they are used to. The only 'Indoor' Buns I allow out in the snow are those who live in my un-heated kitchen :)

yep in that case not so much of a worry..but I've seen pics here and on other forums of very spoiled housebunnies who live in warm bedrooms..having their pics taken in the snow
Hopefully they'll be fine..but it did concern me a bit as wouldn't take long for the cold, damp air to affect their little lungs

Yes, I have to agree. I'd never have let mine out in these temperatures once they became house bunnies, as they were used to central heating and didn't get a full winter coat.

I did think that regarding housebunnies, my lot would have a fit if i put them out :shock: :roll:

i haven't let my outdoor girls on the snow, just given them a snowball to play with. I think it's too cold for their feet.

Mine don't got out in the winter they just have a look out the window. They've been going crazy today running about and playing :lol:

I posted pics of mine, but would like to remind others who thought to follow in the snow after my threads, my rabbits have always been outdoors, have built up thick coats and had access to small hutches in their runs for if they did not like it. They had two days in the snow (it was ankle deep here :shock:) and for the past two days in which the snow was starting to melt, they were not allowed on the snow as i did not want them to become ill (im quite paranoid and overprotective!:oops:)

I would never be forgiven if I put mine out in it :lol: (teegs took a while to forgive me when I put him outside an it wasnt full sun :roll: :lol: ) I am very overprotective though as soon as it started getting cold overnight I put their heating up :oops: and gave them a big box of blankets. Then again they made their choice blankets were just peed on they prefered to sleep on the floor.....where the hot water pipes are :lol: :roll: silly spoilt bunners

I had a house bun that when it snowed would play out and not come in. When I brought her in she would sit at the back door waiting to go out again, so we just let her play out until she came in :D

:oops: I sowwee. :( I totally didn't think. I keep it quite cool in here for him but I shouldn't have taken him out.

I have to say that although my outdoor buns have the hutch open for the free run of the garden they are both still inside the hutch!

If outdoor buns are finding it hard to cope with this snowy weather then indoor buns will find it even harder ....

I didn't even put Sunnie and Cloud in their run, as the snow was much too deep here. They did some exploring just outside their hutch, and Cloud tried to bite his way through the snow, but I think they preferred to be on dry ground. :lol:

I have to admit that all my rabbits all have heating on in their garage and sheds but I let them play out as they love the snow and some of my giants are getting on for 6yrs old and don't have respitory problems. It does more harm in my opinion when you bring outside rabbits in to a heated house then put them back out in the cold.

Back