• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay & Freead Rabbits

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I want to further clarify the rules on this.

Links to freeads, ebay etc. that are advertising rabbits are not allowed. Posting the contents on the ad asking for help, without a link, is not an acceptable way to get around the rule.

Whilst these rabbits may need help they are in no more danger than those in the tens of phone calls rescues on the forum get every day. They shouldn't get boosted up the waiting list over the top of people going through normal channels (contacting a rescue) just because their cases are high visibility.

Taking on a rabbit from this situation as a individual should also not be done lightly. Without the backup of a rescue (as a fosterer) you are entirely responsible for the costs (even if they are sick and need £200 of care when you get them home). We do not allow individuals to fundraise. They also need to be quarantined away from your pets. They could also be pregnant, if they have babies they you are also responsible for their care. If you choose to take on a rabbit from a small ad don't expect that a rescue will be able to bail you out if you get stuck.

I understand that people want to help but if it's not done right it can go very wrong. Posting these type of adverts/requests also puts a lot of pressure on rescues which is unfair.

Any owners in ads like this should be directed to contact their local rescue.

Tamsin

Yep good post

When most rescues are struggling to find homes for the rabbits they have taken in..and have waiting lists for more who need the spaces..it can be so frustrating to see people taking in these free ads buns..then posting they cannot neuter or vacs them and need to find them new homes:(

A very relevent post when all the rescues I know have all their emergency housing full and using penned areas to take in emergency referals.

I often don't click on threads which I know are to do with freeads / ebay bunnies as I usually feel obliged to find space I dont have to fit in another lot of buns when I dont have the time, space or energy to take on any more. If these people are asked to make contact with local rescues then there situation can be assessed to identify the priority of need of the animals concerned.

Thank you Tamsin

Could you 'sticky' this Tamsin?
Save you repeating yourself in a few weeks time.

Also to ask if advertised buns are still being directed to Hugo's There who is contacting people on RU's behalf, instead of everyone getting on the case?

I think this should be made a sticky on every section so people have no excuse for not seeing the rules:D

Fantastic post, very informative!

I was just considering rescuing a rabbit from a free-ad near me - he comes with hutch and I wanted to trash it. I was prepared to take him to the vet for health checks and pay for all of that but never thought that it might be too difficult for rescue centres to take him (I could foster but not for mor than a few weeks).

Now I will regretfully leave him. It is sad but the perspective of the rescuer never really occurred to me.

Thank you for explaining

Emma

Fantastic post, very informative!

I was just considering rescuing a rabbit from a free-ad near me - he comes with hutch and I wanted to trash it. I was prepared to take him to the vet for health checks and pay for all of that but never thought that it might be too difficult for rescue centres to take him (I could foster but not for mor than a few weeks).

Now I will regretfully leave him. It is sad but the perspective of the rescuer never really occurred to me.

Thank you for explaining

Emma

So glad you understand:D.

Alot of people are taking in rabbits off freeads and anywhere else and saying they are fostering them, Unless you are actually fostering a rabbit for a rescue then technically the person who as taken the rabbit in from one of these ads it responsible for it and should no way be going getting them and presuming we as rescues will take them on even by offering to 'foster' it as most rescue have their designated people who foster for them and obviously igf rescues have waiting lists then the rescue and all their fosterers are full. I will apologise in advance for my next sentance in case people think I am out of line but this is my opinion 'if people are scouring the freeads then they are looking for rabbits for themselves and that is their choice' But just please remember that Rescue do not need help in finding rabbits to 'save' as they tend to find us and that is why weare all full and have waiting lists

glad this has been posted again :D:D:D

i dont look at the freeads for a reason and i dont really want to come onto my fav forum and see what im avoiding posted right there in my face..

great post, thank you :wave::wave:

done mean to be a bore but do people not normally post them out of concern?? like the little bun that andrea now has is a free ad bun is it not that kayj went and got for her im confused lol

Gosh, i did think there had been a sudden upsurge.

very informative Tam, and great to have rescues posting on this thread too...

xxx

done mean to be a bore but do people not normally post them out of concern??

Of course, but if we all posted every single freead, because they "might" end up in an unsuitable home, rescues would be more inundated than they already are. It's a sad fact that we can't possibly help them all, and rescues have to prioritise the ones they are already dealing with and the ones they know are seriously in danger. So if a rescue takes a freead because someone is worried about where it 'might' end up, it may just prevent them from being able to help one that 'will' end up somewhere unsuitable...just because someone is posting a rabbit on the freeads it doesn't automatically mean that the rabbit is in danger so rescues have to prioritise those that really definitely are.

Last edited:
What some people fail to seeon this issue is that we are already helping many rabbits. We often get the comments like 'well, you are a rescue, thats what you do'. But we can't do it for all at the same time, there has to be priorities. Just because someone has seen a rabbit that needs rehoming and posts it on RU, thats does not make it a priority.

People seem to become obsessed with 'rescuing' a rabbit that has come to their attention this way. They see one rabbit and one problem which needs resolving. We can see or hear of 5-10 a day, so we can't give priority on the basis someone wants to help it. I give priority to those I consider at risk of neglect etc. We really don't need the added pressure of these ad's on here.

If people want to help, they should adopt from a rescue.

What some people fail to seeon this issue is that we are already helping many rabbits. We often get the comments like 'well, you are a rescue, thats what you do'. But we can't do it for all at the same time, there has to be priorities. Just because someone has seen a rabbit that needs rehoming and posts it on RU, thats does not make it a priority.

`aaaaaaaa i c just wanted to get a better understanding of what u guys ment

i understand that this should not be being taken advantage of and its sad people feel this way. pming hugos there liz will get a email sent to the individual to try adn get them to do the right things. i agree with everything being said however i do htink its sad that individuals are not aloud t fundraise fora rabbit they have taken on as a potential rescue with intention of rehoming. thats a shame. i dont and havent had to do any fundraising for bunnys iv taken in and rehomed however i think its a shame it cannot be done.(i have held car boots etc to get money together tho) especially if you find a rescue cannot take the rabbit in question but cannot help yourself as cannot fundraise. still you al ldo a fantastic job i would never want to take money away from that so do understand.

i do htink its sad that individuals are not aloud t fundraise fora rabbit they have taken on as a potential rescue with intention of rehoming. thats a shame.

To be honest I think it's a great idea on a number of levels - firstly it means that fundraising is targeted to those best placed to deal with the animals in need, and secondly I think if people thought they could ask for money for an animal that they particularly want to help, it could well end up with far too many people without the right knowledge, experience, backup, funding, confidence at homecheck and bonding etc trying to help...and all too often they end up in a sticky wicket and the animals end up suffering eventually.

There's always going to be one or two individuals who feel able to rescue and help out an individual animal from time to time (me for one, so I'm not knocking it!) but I do think that if it's a personal choice to do this occasionally, then I need to take the responsibility for it...I think too many inexperienced people would be tempted to give it a go if they thought they would get some financial backup.

To be honest I think it's a great idea on a number of levels - firstly it means that fundraising is targeted to those best placed to deal with the animals in need, and secondly I think if people thought they could ask for money for an animal that they particularly want to help, it could well end up with far too many people without the right knowledge, experience, backup, funding, confidence at homecheck and bonding etc trying to help...and all too often they end up in a sticky wicket and the animals end up suffering eventually.

There's always going to be one or two individuals who feel able to rescue and help out an individual animal from time to time (me for one, so I'm not knocking it!) but I do think that if it's a personal choice to do this occasionally, then I need to take the responsibility for it...I think too many inexperienced people would be tempted to give it a go if they thought they would get some financial backup.

Exactly, if you don't have the money to do it, leave it to those who have.

however i do htink its sad that individuals are not aloud t fundraise fora rabbit they have taken on as a potential rescue with intention of rehoming. thats a shame.

I have every respect for individuals that want to take on a free ad or ebay bun with a view to rehoming, but I don't think they should be allowed to fundraise on here. To allow fundraising could encourage some people to try to help buns they can't really afford, on the assumption the RU members will bail them out.

Back