• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holly didn't come round very well after GA

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Holly had to have a dental yesterday and she didn't come round very well after it. Unfortunately it's not a case of her being able to have conscious dentals because the way her one back tooth is growing (under her tongue) and although we she has had numerous conscious dentals she ends up having a ga a week later because it's not really possible to do her like that.

My vet said she even had reduced GA and she still handled it badly, she was very sleepy afterwards.

Is there a chance this could be a blip and she will come round better next time or do I have to prepare myself that the next time she will slip away while under? :cry::cry:

I can't stress how much I love Holly, she is like a little puppy and adores me, so while she's not anymore important than my other rabbits, she is one of a few that thinks I am great and is bonded with me (if that makes sense?).

There is no getting away from dentals her teeth are that bad, so no good suggesting to up her hay etc as some of her back teeth are growing the wrong way?

Have you known a rabbit handle a GA badly, but handle it better the next time?

She had it yesterday and the one prior was on the 08/12 :(

Awww :( Hope Holly is feeling a little better now. I know nothing about this sorta thing hun :oops: xXx

What a worry :cry:
I had the exact same problem with Maya and she will need another GA soon

:cry:

I dont know what combination of drugs your Vet uses ?
And do they put Holly on a drip after the proceedure ?

I hope Maya will be ok, it is awful thing to have to prepare yourself for :cry:

Not sure what they give or if they put her on a drip :oops:, I will find out though, I was too shocked to ask too many question at the time.

one of our vets will give buns that have taken longer to come round sub cuts before the next op..just a bit of extra support:?

My vets sometimes just give buns a slight 'whiff' of gas and do the procedure v. quickly.

Also, what about using some form of sedative? Not sure if this would be possible though

Thanks Jill and Amy, what I am going to do is make a list of the suggestions and take them down and have a word with the vet and see if things can be done differently (if they're not doing it already), I imagine I have two months before her next one (hopefully) so I am thinking we could get something in place for her next time.

What a fright Tree. I was reading a recent paper by Frances Harcourt Brown on anaesthesia and bunnies and I have had trouble locating it again. Ill try again now and see if it can help.

No advice but i know what you mean about you loving your bun!
I love all 6 buns the same but i have a much stronger bond with Fudge and if anything happened to her i would be completely devestated and lost without her, some buns have a stronger bond with humans than others :D
She too has to get dentals and last time it took a while for her to come round and she was very cold so need to come under my covers with me :(

Next time im going to ask to watch and be with her during the dental as ive done work experiece with them and i get asked if i want to stay so next time i will.

I hope she will be fine :D:wave:

Is teeth out an option?

Sorry if I'm way off - only just getting dental bun experience:roll:

Hope Holly is ok:D

Hope she is doing ok now and good suggestions already :wave:

Maybe putting her on fluids for the whole procedure may help? My vet does this if she is concerned about a rabbit not being strong enough/reacting to GA.

I will ask about fluids :D

Angie it's the back teeth not front, they're too strong to remove.

Thanks for your help guys :love:

Ditto to the fluids...

teddy is always very slow to recover from an anaesthetic. I dread it every time he needs a dental. Last year he was completely out of it up until the next day. It was really worrying, he was just laid out completely flat and so unsteady that I couldn't leave a bowl of water out because had he fallen into it he just wouldn't have been able to get up.

The past couple of anaesthetics have not been as bad, so maybe Holly will not be like this everytime....

Tree, Mack handled his GA badly last time he had his abcesses seen to....he came round very slowly and needed heat & fluid therapy, they nearly refused to let him come home. This time the surgery was more invasive & longer but he came round much better and was home after 3 hours.

I have no idea why though. :?

Cheers you Ang and Sooz, I feel a lot better knowing that :D. I have e-mailed another vets too to get an idea on how they do things (well it's st georges).

We actually got a bit of hay into her yesterday, Ste baked her some biscuits and there was quite a bit of hay in them, it fooled her and she ate some :lol:

Back