• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i attempt the bonding

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
I currently have henry a standard rex who was castrated 2 weeks ago, he lives in a 48" dog crate next to him I have wilbur who is a tiny REW he is the runt of a litter:cry:, they,re crates have been side by side since yesterday and henry is right up against the bars licking wilbur:love: its almost like he,s desperate for a friend, shoulod i attempt bonding them:? there is quite a size difference wilbur is 5 months but the size of an 8week old baby:(

opinions appreciated:D:D:D

You would need to wait 6 weeks after they have been neautered before attempting to bond. And personally I would wait untill the baby was a little older just in case.

ive allways bonded after a few weeks and as i said i a previous thread no litters have been born:? i run a rescue so i wouldnt take any risks :? sorry forgot to add wilbur is male aswell:D

Is Wilbur neutered yet ?
If not I dont think I'd risk it :?

If he is then I still doubt I would but I really dont like bonding at all so only attempt the 'easy' ones. I do have 2 pairs of bonded males but they are brothers and have been together all their lives.

Hopefully the more Bonding savvy peeps will be along soon

ive allways bonded after a few weeks and as i said i a previous thread no litters have been born:? i run a rescue so i wouldnt take any risks :? sorry forgot to add wilbur is male aswell:D

Im confused- I said wait 6 weeks so their hormones have calmed down. Am I right in thinking its two males you are bonding?

yes it would be 2 boys im bonding, its the size difference that worries me tho:roll::roll: im worried henry will get fruity :oops:and squash wilbur

The bondings that I dislike doing are when I have a little boy who is to go with a big girl as the normal bonding process with domination etc can be difficult for the buns to carry out which leads to frustration and often nipping and chasing. I would also apply this to same sex pairings.

Personally I would also not recommend pairing up two same sexed rabbits within a few weeks of neutering due to the level of hormones which can be still flowing.

Personally if these are 2 buns whom are looking for a home, I would leave them unpaired up for the time being as pairs are less likely to get rehomed than single buns. By bonding them you are reducing the chance of them both finding forever homes as single buns are easier to home than pairs. There is no reason that they cannot have the company of the other though the bars until they find a home.

ARC has a policy of not pre bonding buns to go out unless someone requested to adopt two specific rabbits and what ever pairs you have rarely fit peoples ideal wish list for a pir of bunnys. The majority of buns we rehome are single buns we bond to someones pre existing bun. Our website tells it all really ... the buns who have been in rescue the longest are always the pairs of buns :cry:

Back