• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Angel Help/advice please!

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Angel went today for her colour eye x-ray to see where the blockage is and if they could make a drain to stop her eye gooing all time.
We got her and her eye was ok for few months then began to run...
20 months later it is ok when she has her eye drops all though it gets flushed when really bad. She has had loads of flushes.
Anyway results of mouth x-ray last time showed mouth disease and that was causing her eye problem.
Today (only 4 months since last x-ray) her mouth disease has became much worse they cant do a drain for eye as its not her eye its her teeth.
Her teeth cant be removed as it would mean going through her skull at top of head as they are so high. (we were previously told her teeth would need removed prob later in life due to mouth disease but obv this in a no no now)
Her tear duct is closing/shutting down completetly and we MUST not flush anymore at all as her tear duct is ready to explode with more flushes and the pain itself will kill her!
I feel so bad I have put her through so many flushes to help her and it may have made her worse. Now her eye will prob goo closed completely and we cant do anything to help her. When it gets real bad it obv hurts and we get it flushed and shes hoppy again what can we do now?:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Sorry I just feel real bad I do have one final option I am trying herbal remedies and spiritual healing so fingers crossed I have my own little miracle.

Neither did we, Does anyone know how I can slow down the mouth disease??
Stuff I should avoid etc?? Greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately with Dental disease it is often progressive. Once the tooth roots have elongated then apart from extraction of the relevent tooth/teeth you cant reverse the problem. Extracting the molars is often a complex and major proceedure. If it is the Incisor roots causing the problem then extraction is definately an option. Rabbits can adapt perfectly well to being Incisorless. Some dietary changes will be required eg feeding a large pellet food, gratting Veg and chopping hay into short strands.

Here are some links that may be helpful

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo3.htm

http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/clinicalreview/article131.asp

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/dental_disease.htm

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/toothdisease.shtml

Thanks Yeah we already do those things otherwise she woldnt be able to eat. She cant eat hay at all so we get her hay cubes and break them down.
She has no front teeth although the roots are still there now entwined with her back teeth roots.
Its her back teeth that are the problem but they cant do anything as they are so high set.
We found out 4 months ago she had mouth disease and vet said its fine later in life may need to remove some teeth, but when he said this I imagined years I didnt think 4 months later it would be worse.
As long as shes happy though thats what counts and I am starting homepathic remedies today so fingers crossed.

Thanks Yeah we already do those things otherwise she woldnt be able to eat. She cant eat hay at all so we get her hay cubes and break them down.
She has no front teeth although the roots are still there now entwined with her back teeth roots.
Its her back teeth that are the problem but they cant do anything as they are so high set.
We found out 4 months ago she had mouth disease and vet said its fine later in life may need to remove some teeth, but when he said this I imagined years I didnt think 4 months later it would be worse.
As long as shes happy though thats what counts and I am starting homepathic remedies today so fingers crossed.

Is she having any pain relief ?

Nope our vet said she seems happy enough at moment. Just keep her on eye drops and if her eye starts really bad then take her in. She goes to vets every couple of weeks for weight etc.
We recently had animal communicator who still talks to her so I know if she was in pain then she would pass that message on to me. Angel told Aunty Clare that she had liitle tooth ache in her left tooth (opp to bad eye, clare didnt know about problems) but her eye didnt hurt just felt gritty now and then.) So Clare has gave us herbal pills for tooth problems to try, along with vet treatment and vet knows doesnt mind. If it works then all good if not then least we tried every option possible.

My concern is that tooth root elongation itself can become very painful regardless of whether there is any problem with the eyes.

I'm sorry to hear about Angel.

Honor does normally put rabbits suffering from progressive dental disease on metacam permanently if she thinks they need it, she would prescribe it if she thought it was needed. She won't leave a rabbit in pain.

Aunty Honor has been great she must be sick of the sight of us 2. We should just move in to the vets.

Angel doesn't seem to be in pain and like I say I know an animal communicator who would tell me if she was (although we would know prob ayway) I have a huge supply of metacam for Winnie anyway Honor norm just says to use that after ops etc so if Angel needed it she would tell me. It just annoys me that my lil girl has been through sooo much in her life and all because of humans then we try to help her to show not everyone is horrible and we seem to make her suffer more nasty things and for what? grr

Back