• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neck tilt

alaska

New Kit
Please help i awoke to find my 5 year old mini lop buck with a tilted neck he seems ok eating and drinking i have had this before but the poor rabbit died the day of the appointment does any one know what it is causes and cure and prevention please:cry:

Has your rabbit been wormed? It may have EC. If it hasn't been wormed start treating it with Panacur paste for rabbits (can buy this from Pets at Home - just need to know your rabbits weight). Then I would advise getting it to the vets ASAP to check it out.

It could also be an ear infection which can be treated by the vet.
I'd get an appointment asap.

The best thing to do would be to get your bun to a vet as soon as possible.
It could be anything from an ear infection to EC. Your vet will give your bun the relevant tests and treatment.
If your other bunny died from it, it is most likely to be EC. How long ago did the rabbit die? Where they housed together?

Please please treat this as an emergency and get to your vet.

I have a bun with headtilt and I have to say it's completely heartbreaking for me and god only knows what she is going through.

She is currently in a small pen with cushons around the sides as she is at her worst point in this and cant stand up as she is in a constant roll.

I have had to fight so hard against my vet to get her the meds she needs, and after 3 weeks today i had a breakthrough as a locum was at the surgery and she has finally agreed to give her a huge lifeline by injecting penicillin.

You seriously do not want to let it get as far as this and the symptoms can happen so fast.

I hope your bun is ok, please get to a rabbit savy vet a.s.a.p

Hi. I had a rabbit which suddenly collapsed. I took her to the emergency vets who wanted to put her down so i took her to a small animal referral vet. He said it could be e. cuniculi. The treatment was i.v. fluids, panacur (fenbendazole), septrin paediatric suspension (an antibiotic) and i think she had a steroid injection for any inflammation in the brain. After about 4 days she was able to sit up and within a week was back to normal. A year on she's still fine. I am eternally grateful to vet Craig at Chine House, Sileby. Please get your bunny to a vet a.s.a.p. if you haven't already. i hope he gets better soon :wave:

head tilt

Hi thanks to all the replies my other bunnies died about 6 monhs ago and no they were not housed together it only came on yesterday and today his head is nearly on the floor i have an appointment tom but my vets will want to put him to sleep i know they will :cry:

Hi thanks to all the replies my other bunnies died about 6 monhs ago and no they were not housed together it only came on yesterday and today his head is nearly on the floor i have an appointment tom but my vets will want to put him to sleep i know they will :cry:

Dont worry they shouldnt just put him to sleep. Wesley probably wasnt that bad he has taken about three weeks to get back to normal. He was given an anti inflammatory injection, baytril and a 28 day course of panacur. Some rabbits do improve. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

But there are lots of rabbits that come through an episode of head tilt.
Lou has several at Hopper Haven that she has nursed, and they are now bonded with other rabbits and leading happy lives, even though they still have a tilt.
It can take several weeks to get them back to anything like normal again, and the worst bit is when they can't stop rolling, but that is something you can sort.

It is up to you to insist that your bun gets the treatment he requires and not the vets decision to put the bun to sleep because he has no experience of dealing with it.

Good luck at the vets, although if you know they will put him to sleep i suggest you try and find another one. It could still be e. cuniculi because the parasite can survive in the environment for a very long time an can also lay dormant in the body for ages, only becoming a problem when the bunny is run down or stressed. To prevent it dose all your bunnies with panacur for 9 days, at least once a year and whenever you acquire a new bun. To treat e. cuniculi you need to give it for 28 days. Remember many rabbits survive head tilts:wave:

It is really hard to tell the difference between the two most comon causes.. EC and ear infection, but your vet will probably treat for both.
Please let us know how you are doing.

Back