• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone local help? Tragic update 8th March

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
A friend has just rung me to say a neighbour has moved out and left her rabbit loose in the garden. It has no hutch to live in :cry::cry:

We have no spare cages here at all. Does anyone have a spare hutch they can get to me, it has to be an outdoor one, the house is full to bursting or can anyone take on this bun with a view to rehoming it? I know it is a real problem getting anywhere today as they roads are terrible. I am just worried about this bunny being loose with no shelter in such bad conditions :(

Last edited:
I can't believe it has been living rough in these conditions. It is only the other side of town but with the paths and roads as they are I don't know how we will get to it. My friend can't help as she is due to give birth next week and is more concerned about her waters breaking and no ambulances available :shock:

I have small indoor hutch that I can put in the shed as temp measure - probably too far away though.

I am happy to take it and rehome from here I just need something for it to live in. We have 36 buns here at the moment. If it actually had a hutch it would be no problem.

We have no way of getting it anywhere else today and given the forecast I have just seen for tonight and tomorrow we need to get it some shelter asap

You would be welcome to one of my hutches but again Im miles away. Sorry Liz, hoping someone nearer can help.

Can you appeal to any local petshops, garden centres etc, seeing if you can borrow an old hutch they may have out the back? Or construct any form of temporary shelter for the night? Tried your local freecycle for hutches, small playsheds/bikesheds, dog kennels etc?

Is there anything that can be improvised for tonight or a short period of time, even if it's as basic as a dustbin, recycling container or upturned plastic tub that can be stuffed full of straw, or a couple of towels/pillow etc and left in the garden if that's all that is easily available at the moment? Nothing like ideal I know but may be better than nothing :? What a worry, poor little thing - do you know if the little poppet was always outside or was it a housebunny that's been chucked out?

Apparently it has always lived in the garden and never had any shelter. I supose it is at least use to living this way. If only the weather wasn't so bad

Do you have any indoor cages you could cover at all? Wouldn't want to risk using it with a base incase it rained heavily but maybe use two wire tops secured together in a box shape (one upside down on the floor - towel or something to cover the wire 'floor', then the other stacked/cabletied on top), then cover with whatever you can to make it waterproof and warm?

I will suggest this to my friend if we can't get the bun here today. I can't get there until 10 tonight when Steve gets home from work, i don't know how much Alex can do at 9 months pregnant.

Thanks Steph

I wont be able to sleep tonight knowing this bunny will be outside with no where to hide :cry::cry:

how about taking a carrier own to the garden and leaving that out with a thick layer of bedding and a towel over the top. it isnt a hutch but at least it would have some hiding area? also have the rspca been informed? they may think more urgent due to weather too.
i no longer have my spare hutch to be able to offer help and am using my indoor accomodation too at moment. hope someone close by can help. how about a local vets? if you catch it wont they take it in? i knwo my vets have taken in strays before?! jsut to get it away from where it is?x

just a thought whats the location liz? wondering if i drove down later once tom is home and we went on a bunny rescue mission? i cant keep it here as have no room but we could try local vets maybe? or if someone in this direction could take it i could meet them part way with bun? x

Back