• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grr, Megazorb has vanished off the face off the Earth!

vicki267

Mama Doe
I read on here a few weeks ago that people were having trouble finding it. Well now my local supplier is out and doesn't know when it will be back in. Blames it on the current economy and people switching products :roll:

Has anyone heard when it might be back in stock or whether this is just a case of too high a demand and not enough to go around?

Buying it online works out expensive after paying the courier fee and Carefresh is just ridiculously priced and I'd get through a small bag in 2 days :? I'd assume a bigger bag wouldn't last me a great deal longer.

Any other alternatives?

due to shortage and expense of carefresh i use the following things...
layer of wood chips... layer of newspaper then a layer of hay..stops the wood chips causing dusty problems for bun.... or alternativly cat wood pellets litter.... very absorbant but i still needed a layer of hay on top to make mine use it. x

Strange my local supplier can order it for me so it is around somewhere, it still works out cheaper buying it online and paying postage than switching to carefresh though, i get through a small bag in a day!

My local supplier had 5 bags in when i was up there on tuesday! My bf got 2 and i got 2 as i get through it very quickly, but he hasnt said anything about short supply to me - yet!
I hope it doesnt stop getting made as i fine it great for bunnies :D

I've just had to return a bag as it was mouldy so there's definitely a supply / demand problem.

i too had a bag that smelt mouldy!
The hay experts have run out and they said there is a huge shortage but was hoping to get more by the end of the month!

They had none here last week :( Postage will be about £40 to get it to me if I order it myself online and im not going back to buying a bag of carefresh everyday :lol: Im using newspaper at the moment and hoping they will have some in next week :lol:

I used to use wood pellets from pets at home but stopped using them as I heard they can cause sore hocks due to being too hard :?

I always put newspaper, megazorb and hay in their trays. TBH I just get on so well both practically and financially with megazorb so I really hope it is back in stock soon :shock:

um...probably my fault!! My supplier has 3 bags for me..waiting.I told them not to get anymore so they said they would order a bag when i have one left!!:oops::oops:
Ive only been using the stuff for 3 bags worth (4 ferrets,2 bunnies).....didnt know how often i would use the stuff.....:roll:
Want some...???? :oops:;)

Oh dear... I really hope I can get some at the weekend. I just wish I could find an affordable alternative - I much prefer Back 2 Nature, but it is about three times the price.

Last edited:
Oh dear... I diddn't know there was a shortage! I bulk bought my bags back in the summer, I'm now on my last bag and your news is worrying me!

Hannah

the garden centre where i usually get mine has been finding it difficult to get it for a while so I ordered 3 from hay experts.....sods law said that the hay experts only sent one bag with 2 to follow when they have stock then a couple of days later I go to the garden centre and theyve got it back in stock!!:?

Hi, I got some delivered from Farmway earlier this week, it comes to about £11 including delivery I think which still works out a lot cheaper than carefresh.

The local horse feed supplies were out of stock 3 week ago. I returned last Friday and they have bags and bags of the stuff :D

There is a supply problem, which is due to a shortage of wood for the pulping process (why there is also a shortage of shavings too). this is because of a downturn in the housing industry and new builds. As a result there aren't so many timber places making roof trusses etc and therefore less waste product. I am told that Northern Crop Driers have been having to buy some of their wood waste from Scandanavia to try and keep their manufacture going.

Many suppliers are out and the situation has been made worse by people buying in bulk and hoarding. I am told by a reliable source that if people only bought what they normally use there wouldn't be such a big problem. The higher demand for the product of course has been amplified because of horse owners not being able to get their normal shaving bedding and having to source an alternative.

There is a supply problem, which is due to a shortage of wood for the pulping process (why there is also a shortage of shavings too). this is because of a downturn in the housing industry and new builds. As a result there aren't so many timber places making roof trusses etc and therefore less waste product. I am told that Northern Crop Driers have been having to buy some of their wood waste from Scandanavia to try and keep their manufacture going.

Many suppliers are out and the situation has been made worse by people buying in bulk and hoarding. I am told by a reliable source that if people only bought what they normally use there wouldn't be such a big problem. The higher demand for the product of course has been amplified because of horse owners not being able to get their normal shaving bedding and having to source an alternative.

Lol now you mention it that sounds exactly the thing the woman down the centre told me :roll:

I'll give them a call next week to see if they have any in if not will try a few places online :)

Fingers crossed we can all get hold of it for when we need it *makes note to self to stop endorsing the product :lol:*

Not quite the same but a pine/phenol-free, cheap and dust-free option would be cardboard bedding - loads of brands/names for it, Ecobed and Ecopetbed being the main ones, also SafeTBed, Andy B bedding, a few more I expect. Oh, and if you wanted to order in bulk if you use lots of bedding, have horses or want to organise to split a bulk order between local rabbit/rodent owners, I know that some councils do bales of cardboard squares too.
Last time I was buying them it was £6 for a big compressed bale which lasts ages. Unfortunately buying it singly works out a bit more if you can't find a local source, as the courier cost bumps it up
http://www.ecopet.co.uk/

Yes, I've wondered about that too... I've bought Ecopetbed in the past and used it for mice, but didn't find it very absorbent. I haven't tried it for the piggies yet, but might have to if all else fails. I'm also not sure if my council would accept it going into the compostable bin (they seem fine with the megazorb).

Yes, I've wondered about that too... I've bought Ecopetbed in the past and used it for mice, but didn't find it very absorbent. I haven't tried it for the piggies yet, but might have to if all else fails. I'm also not sure if my council would accept it going into the compostable bin (they seem fine with the megazorb).

I didn't find it great on its own but mixing it with something else (Megazorb, Aubiose, similar) improved it loads - OK, had to clean it out a little bit more often than usual when they were in my bedroom but it wasn't bad, and for the amount it cost I couldn't complain

Googled quickly and the Derbyshire council site says "The types of waste allowed in the compostable bin are green garden waste, kitchen. waste and cardboard." - it's just cardboard so sounds OK?

Back