• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

immigration with rabbits

Caecilia

New Kit
Hi there,

I'm thinking about leaving Germany and immigrating to Great Britain by the end of next year (or later), I would really, really like to live and work there :D However, currently there isn't anything certain, I'm just dreaming and thinking about what I would have to do if... :)
Of course I would have to bring along my four rabbits (and perhaps both of my gerbils, too).
Do you know about what I have to do when bringing my rabbits to the UK? There used to be a six-month quarantine, right?
I've read a lot about it on the DEFRA Homepage already, about the Pet Travel Scheme, which allows to skirt the quarantine, but somehow it confuses me :(

On the one hand the Pet Travel Scheme seems to apply to cats, dogs and ferrets as well as to rabbits and rodents.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/index.htm

However, to fullfill the requirements for Pet Travel Scheme, cats, dogs and ferrets must be microchipped, there must be blood tests, vaccinations, treatment against tapeworm,...

On the other hand the factsheet about rabbits doesn't mention any of these requirements.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/factsheet6-081016.htm.pdf
It just says:
"The following rules apply to the movement of pet rabbits and rodents (referred to in this fact sheet as “pets”) as at October 2005.
Movement between European Union (EU) countries (see Annex A) or into the EU from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican are not subject to any requirement with regard to rabies. This means that currently there are no requirements for these animals when entering the UK from any of these countries."

So, can I just get my rabbits into my car and drive to Great Britain, without any quarantine or other requirements?

I surely wouldn't want to make them spend 6 months in a quarantine station with people who don't know them (my rabbit Clover needs a special diet and is always in danger of colics).

And how about vaccinations in Great Britain, is it recommendable to vaccinate against VHD and myxomatosis?

And a last question: is it as hard to find a flat in Great Britain as it is in Germany when you've got four rabbits with you? Pets aren't allowed in almost every German flat ( at least so it seems to me) :(

Greetings,
Silke

PS: I'm glad there are people both in Great Britain as well as in Germany, who are hopelessly addicted to rabbits :D

Last edited:
hi welcome to RU, about the travelling thing i'm really not to sure, you'd maybe be better to ring them and speak to them personally, i shouldn't think finding a flat that allows animals into should be too much trouble, if your going for a real high class flat probably not. Yes rabbits over here really need vacc every year from Mxi and VHD. i hope you can transport them okay, i can't see why you couldn't drive them over. you'd need to make sure that they had a very comfortable car journey, it would probably be better than flying. good luck with everything. :wave:

According to this link: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/rabbits.htm
there is no restriction in the movement of rabbits from Germany to the UK. As far as your second question is concerned, I do not think it will be easy for you to find a flat where rabbits are accepted. Quite a few people in this country had their homes repossessed because of the financial crisis and ended up giving up their pets, as rented accommodation had a 'no pets' policy.

The rules for rodents aren't very strict, and it does look like rabbits are included with them as such. However, I vaguely recall some rat breeders having issues when taking rats over to Europe/bringing them back, and advising people to get confirmation in writing (letter from DEFRA, letter from your vets confirming the animals are in good health, that sort of thing) that they're allowed to transport the rats. Also think there might be a limit on how many you can transport at one time, not 100% sure

Also think there might be a limit on how many you can transport at one time, not 100% sure

I'm fairly sure it's 5 pets in total as a maximum.

It's true it can be harder to find a place to rent that will allow pets, but do ask the question if/when you start to look - when places say 'no pets' they often really mean cats/dogs and would allow small animals like rabbits or birds...although it may be harder to find somewhere that allows houserabbits rather than outdoor ones.

Hi there,
I think you will be able to find a flat that allows rabbits no problem. I have rented for the last few years and haven't had any trouble - you just need to find a nice landlord!:D At the moment over here in London there are so many rental properties that landlords are desperate for tenants so are reducing rents and are a lot more flexible in general.

Good luck with it all if you do decide to move!:)

Thanks for your answers! :)

I was quite sure (accoring to this paragraph:
"The maximum number of all types of pet animals (not only rabbits and rodents) each person may bring into the EU from most non-EU listed countries (see Annex A) is 5.") the maximum of 5 is only relevant when taking rabbits from a non-EU country into a EU country. And since Germany is part of the EU, the number wouldn't be relevant :?

You are right. However, as others have said, please check with DEFRA. Sometimes, government agencies may be a little 'over-zealous'.;)

Back