• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soaking wet bunny U/D post 20

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I have a bunny that is constantly soaking wet, we are exasperated in trying to find a cure and wondered if anyone has any ideas

He is constantly wet and passes lumps of mucous, he is wet all up his tummy, down both legs, around his tail and about 2 inches up his back, there is no smell

He is eating well, runs around, is active and very bright, he is not 'ill' as such just has this problem of being wet,

Anyone any ideas or suggestions please?

Last edited:
One of mine had a condition which sounds identical. Is his wee very dilute and clear and does he wee more than a normal amount in one go? My bun was a strange shape...pot bellied with very little muscle along her spine. Does any of this apply to your bun?

Her condition was controlled with baytril and propalin, but I don't know how it could be treated in a male rabbit.

I really should've had a post mortem done when she died, but her immediate cause of death was a heart attack, so may or may not have been a result of her condition.

What diagnostics have been run ?
Bloods ?
Faecal analysis?
Abdominal U/S ?

Don't know about Theo's bun but mine had bloods done, which showed normal results.

We didn't have feacal tests done...perhaps we should have? :?

And it's really difficult to get ultrasound done around here...my vets don't do it, and don't know of anywhere locally who does :(

One of mine had a condition which sounds identical. Is his wee very dilute and clear and does he wee more than a normal amount in one go? My bun was a strange shape...pot bellied with very little muscle along her spine. Does any of this apply to your bun?

Her condition was controlled with baytril and propalin, but I don't know how it could be treated in a male rabbit.

I really should've had a post mortem done when she died, but her immediate cause of death was a heart attack, so may or may not have been a result of her condition.

He does drink quite a bit and his wee is not strong and doesn't smell and is clear, he is a normal shape and size and eats wells, and is very sctive and alert, we are just at a loss as to what we can do to help him

As I understand it Propalin only works with females doesn;t it?, isn;t it something to do with the hormones?

Does he have a usual stance when weeing..?

Re mucus..there is some thought that oregano oil added to drinking water can help with the production of mucus in digestive tract:?

He does drink quite a bit and his wee is not strong and doesn't smell and is clear, he is a normal shape and size and eats wells, and is very sctive and alert, we are just at a loss as to what we can do to help him

As I understand it Propalin only works with females doesn;t it?, isn;t it something to do with the hormones?

Yeah, I think propalin only works with females, although it works by causing the sphincter muscle to tighten up, so *might* be worth discussing with your vet. We did actually try synthetic oestrogen with Crunchie too, but it had no effect on her.

Crunchie was absolutely fine in herself too. She was lively and had a good appitite right up until the day she died. The mucus in her poops never led to stasis or anything like that.

It's such hard work keeping an incontinent rabbits clean isn't it? especially when they pee by the bucket load and need shampooing twice a day and a full hutch clean every day :(

If your bun is anything like Crunchie, he will have lost his litter training and will be peeing everywhere. If this is the case, I found that a deep straw bedding kept the moisture away best....just make sure that it's changed every day

Last edited:
Yeah, I think propalin only works with females, although it works by causing the sphincter muscle to tighten up, so *might* be worth discussing with your vet. We did actually try synthetic oestrogen with Crunchie too, but it had no effect on her.

Crunchie was absolutely fine in herself too. She was lively and had a good appitite right up until the day she died. The mucus in her poops never led to stasis or anything like that.

It's such hard work keeping an incontinent rabbits clean isn't it? especially when they pee by the bucket load and need shampooing twice a day and a full hutch clean every day :(

If your bun is anything like Crunchie, he will have lost his litter training and will be peeing everywhere. If this is the case, I found that a deep straw bedding kept the moisture away best....just make sure that it's changed every day

Hmmmmm!, that's the problem, he is free range of my lounge and has a hutch built in to the coffee table, everytime he wants a wee he goes in there are doesn't wee anywhere else, it's just these lumps of mucous, when he walks it's like he's farting mucous out, you can actually hear it and he hates it, I don't think he is wet from his wee, I wash his everyday and he is OK with that, he seems to have got used to it and yes it's a real nuisance for him, I just wish I could 'cure' his wetness and this mucous and was hoping somebody could come up with a reason or a cure

I change the hay in hutch every day without fail to make sure it's dry, what else can I do?

when he walks it's like he's farting mucous out, you can actually hear it and he hates it

Yeah I remember similar noises with Crunchie.

Unfortunately nobody could give me diagnosis, and I couldn't find anybody else who had been through the same with their bun :cry:

BTW if he's not wet from urine, why is he wet? Is it the mucus? Liz Hugo's There had a bun who was wet from mucus production, try talking to her

Yeah I remember similar noises with Crunchie.

Unfortunately nobody could give me diagnosis, and I couldn't find anybody else who had been through the same with their bun :cry:

BTW if he's not wet from urine, why is he wet? Is it the mucus? Liz Hugo's There had a bun who was wet from mucus production, try talking to her

Yes, it's exactly the same as what Austin (Liz's bunny) had and she couldn;t find a cure either, it's just so frustrating because I want to help him but can't find out how:cry:

Theo, I'm so sorry the salazopyrin didn't work, it was worth a try even though it made Austin worse too :(:(

Austin had bloods, faecal/mucus samples sent off and all came back clear.
Even his post mortem results came back normal.

His notes were sent off to FHB and all she recommended was a very high fibre diet. Luckily Austin ate lots of hay but we also started him on high doses of fibreplex. I don't know for sure that it was working as he died just 10 days later but his poos were definately starting to look a better shape. It is worth giving it a try and certainly won't do any harm :)

I really hope it helps as I know how frustrating it is and how upsetting it is for the bunny too.

Just give me a call if I can be of any more help :D:wave:

Theo, I'm so sorry the salazopyrin didn't work, it was worth a try even though it made Austin worse too :(:(

Austin had bloods, faecal/mucus samples sent off and all came back clear.
Even his post mortem results came back normal.

His notes were sent off to FHB and all she recommended was a very high fibre diet. Luckily Austin ate lots of hay but we also started him on high doses of fibreplex. I don't know for sure that it was working as he died just 10 days later but his poos were definately starting to look a better shape. It is worth giving it a try and certainly won't do any harm :)

I really hope it helps as I know how frustrating it is and how upsetting it is for the bunny too.

Just give me a call if I can be of any more help :D:wave:

I think the salazopyrin made him worse too!:roll:, yes we've had all the tests done too and they are all clear, I haven't tried Fibreplex yet so will give that a go, thanks, may call you if I need to, I am just so frustrated with this one, I just want to help him and everything I try doesn;t work

how much hay is this bun eating?

Jason, he doesn't eat much hay at all, never has, I give it to him everyday in the hope he will get a liking for it, I mix in dried dandelion and dried plantain too but he doesn't eat much

wow, it sounds a bit like Kizzy, but she was diagnosed as having a mucometra, although her uterus looked fairly normal when she was speyed?

Our vets have both tried propalin and incurin for male dogs when all else has failed, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't. It wouldn't work however if it is a problem with the anus rather than the ureter.

wow, it sounds a bit like Kizzy, but she was diagnosed as having a mucometra, although her uterus looked fairly normal when she was speyed?

Our vets have both tried propalin and incurin for male dogs when all else has failed, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't. It wouldn't work however if it is a problem with the anus rather than the ureter.

No, it's not Mucometra, I had a female with that Missie, in fact my vet kept and preserved her uterus because it was so bad:shock:

I have now taken him off all medication except fibreplex, we need to try other things now

Well, we appear to have a developement!!:shock:

I have taken him off of all the medications and I am just trying him with 2 notches of fibreplex twice a day, he is on his 3rd day and he has been dry for 24 hours and the amount of mucous has decreased dramatically:shock::D:D

I am so pleased for him, I really hope that this will work

It's still looking good, he is still dry, although he has passed some mucous but nothing like he was before, but all his fur up his tummy, down his legs and around his tail is all bone dry, this is the 3rd day now and I am so pleased for him, I really hope that we have found a solution

Back