• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Beaphar Spot On with Ivermectin?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Just a quick question I know a few people have used it! Is it OK to use it on a bonded pair as my 2 groom each other vigorously on the backs of their necks so I just want to makesure it's not going to cause any problems if they injest it?! The vet was saying she has seen nasty problems with shop bought spot-ons injested by other pets grooming!

I have been told that as long as it is allowed to dry its ok BUT I still never risk it and use injectible Ivermectin :)

I don't see a problem with the ivermectin spot ons - it can be given orally as a drug after all. In my view it is the pyrrethrins (sp?) spot ons that are more likely to cause a problem. I have used it on mice who are major groomers.

shop bought spot on

A few years ago i used a shop bought "spot on " treatment on one of my buns. After a day or two i noticed a 50p size burn on his neckwhere i had put the liquid on him. It scabbed over and he was fine. I felt so guilty that i had put it on him where he couldnt reach and had been burning into his skin. :shock:probably just as well he couldnt reach if thats what it did to his skin. I have never used it since. I would just take him to the vets for treatment of mites etc. Better to be safe.

Is that the one for fly strike? I used in last summer on all 4 of mine and they gave it a little lick and were fine! I very much doubt they would suggest putting something on an aninmals body that would be poisonous when ingested!

A few years ago i used a shop bought "spot on " treatment on one of my buns. After a day or two i noticed a 50p size burn on his neckwhere i had put the liquid on him. It scabbed over and he was fine. I felt so guilty that i had put it on him where he couldnt reach and had been burning into his skin. :shock:probably just as well he couldnt reach if thats what it did to his skin. I have never used it since. I would just take him to the vets for treatment of mites etc. Better to be safe.

I'm guessing that this was Xenex Ultra (which doesn't contain Ivermectin).

I've used ivermectin spot-ons on lots of rabbits, and I've never had any bad effects...in fact, I've found the spot-ons to be more effective than the injectable ivermectin, especially when treating lice.

Back