• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit Zak has just had a fit and died!

gil

Mama Doe
my rabbit Zak has just had a fit and died. i have no idea what's caused this. he didn't take his usual treat before he went to bed and then heard him making noises so dashed downstairs to find him having a fit and then he died.
he was a mini lionheadlop. anyone any ideas?

he shared his life with Lola, who is sitting calmly on the doormat as i type this. not sure what to do with her.........i got Zak for her as she needed a companion and she really settled well with him.

I'm sorry for your sad loss :cry: I know that epilepsy can be a problem in Lionheads - I don't know if an epileptic fit could kill him though :cry:

I have no ideas what it couldve been :( So sorry xXx Hope Lola will be ok without him :cry: *hugs* for you xXx

thanks everyone......it was so unexpected. really gutted that this has happened especially as Lola had bonded very well with him. really not sure about getting a pm done but i will phone the vet tomorrow morning for advice. he wasn't yet a year old. there was no sign at all that this was going to happen as he was his usual self today and ate his dinner as normal and bopped about.

I'm so sorry for your loss, how very sad and it must have been so distressing to watch. :( Sleep tight Zak. xx

What a terrible shock for you.He could of had a heart attack.Im so sorry for your loss.Sleep tight Zak

What a dreadful shock :cry:

Rabbits often have a 'fit' before they die, regardless of the cause. As you have another Rabbit I would consider getting a Post Mortem done.
I would also take Lola for a check-up at the Vets.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: :cry:

thanks for all your kind thoughts. i am waiting to phone the boss to take a days holiday and then phone the vet to see about Lola getting checked. i have 6 other rabbits who are all outside but none of them have come into contact with Zak so don't know if i need to get them checked out as well?
lola went to see Zak last night and gave him kisses. we cleaned out the cage and made up a box for Zak. first thing this morning lola goes to Zak's box and sniffs around it. apart from that Lola is her usual cheeky self although i'm sure she knows something is well wrong.

my lop done the same things years ago,he was out in the run and i noticed that there was something black and sticky comming out his mough,i brought him in to get it out and he had a fit on the floor and died.never knew what killed him.

I'm so sorry for yours and Lola's loss! Epileptic fits can be very severe and result in deaths in small animals. It could be that there was an underlying problem and the physiological stress from that could have caused a fit. It's hard to know with out a post-mortem, but for Lola's sake I'd seriously consider having a post-mortem done.

Thinking of you xx

thanks everyone! have spoken to vet and they think it was probably sonmething in the brain like a stroke. i've to keep an eye on Lola and if there are any signs that she's not herself to take her in right away. so far she seems to be her usual self and up to her usual tricks like disappearing under the settee. she is such a character and because she is 4 this year know her pretty well to know if something's not right!

Zak is now buried in the garden and we had a wee ceremony for him-just can't get over how suddenly he went but i know he enjoyed being here as he was very affectionate and he loved Lola, following her about everywhere. in fact Lola taught him how to get under the settee too! we were priveleged enough to see a lesson in progress one day!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope lola is ok, i'm glad she is up to her usual tricks, you're right to keep a close eye on her and give her lots of extra attention.

It must've been really distressing for you to see Zak having a fit. We had a hamster called Bumble who had an epileptic fit that he didn't come out of- the vet tried lots of things but they didn't work and he had to be PTS :( It is such a terrible thing to see as there is nothing you can do to help.

I'm so sorry :(

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion. So with the bonding of a companion, you need to get your bun to smell the body of her companion for about 1/2 hr., then look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get her a new bunny companion.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area to refill the energy in your home, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Very sorry for your loss

Back