• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust yes or no?

Ozzy&Marley

Young Bun
Hi guys,

I was just wondering whether it was ok to use sawdust as a baseliner for the bun's hutch? I had the idea from somewhere that you shouldn't use it as the small bits can get in their eyes. I have just been looking at some pics of hutches and stuff that you guys have put up and i noticed that some of them had sawdust underneath the hay. Is this ok or not?

Also for litter do you use anything in particular or just hay?

Any help would be grately appreciated and i will post pics of the bun when i get my camera working!

I use wood shavings on the hutch floors, and in litter trays, Hay for eating and straw/shredded paper for bedding. There are arguments that wood shavings and sawduist can give of toxic fumes esp in guineapigs but i've never known it, that doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen. Alot of indoor buns are housed with newspaper and wood based cat litter with hay for eating.

I have been using hay for her bedding cos all i had in was hay and sawdust (she came to us in a bit of a hurry!) But of course using hay for food and bedding will be costly so i need some other alternative!! Thanks!:)

i use just newspaper in her cage and hay with sawdust and newspaper in her litter, much easier to clean and isnt very costy although she does drag her hay out her litter tray

thank you for all your help guys. I will be investing in some vetbed soon cos i use that for the guinea pigs but just need to know whats best to use for now! I think i'll use newspaper with hay and a bit of sawdust in the litter tray and see how that goes.

On another note, do your bunnys favour a particular kind of hay? I buy meadow hay for the piggies but the bun doesnt seem to eat much of it, she does like the hay cookies though so have been giving her them until i can get to a shop at the weekend to get some different stuff for her to try! I'm gona order a taster pack from hayexperts i think and see what she likes best out of that!!

I use newspaper, wood shavings ,straw and hay. I have never had any rabbits with health problems due to wood shavings, I have an 11yr old Nethie that has been on them all his life with no problems.

I dont use sawdust as its messy in the house and also not supposed to be good for their eyes or breathing.I use wood pellets for litter.

Mine are indoors so only have litter trays.

When I get my outside buns though they will have newspaper and towels/fleeces with the same as my indoor buns in their litter trays.

I use megazorb, I dont use shavings because of wha I've heard and prefer personally not to risk it.

Back