• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flying with rabbits

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi all :wave:

I am sure I once read some threads about flying with rabbits but I cant find any now... I would be grateful to get in contact with anyone who has flown with their rabbits. We will be moving from Iceland to Jordan in a month with our two bunnies and I am so worried about flying with them that I am in desperate need of some good advice from someone who has done this.

My email is sandralyngdorf@gmail.com!

Thank you!

Hi Sandra, lucky you getting to live in exciting places! If you haven't checked Jordan's import laws, do so as soon as possible. Then make sure they have any needed vaccinations and/or worming/flea control if required. You will probably need a health certificate within 24 hours of the flight. Mine flew from the USA to the UK but I used a pet transport company to make all the arrangements. It was well worth it because during a move you have alot to deal with and the UK is not the easiest country to import pets into. I don't know how large your bunnies are, but if you can fly them in cabin, that is the best. Mine had to fly cargo:( but they all made it just fine. :love:The section they flew in was temperature controlled. They were quiet and skittish for about a week but then were back to their normal selves. Also, mine were a bonded trio and I made arrangements for them to fly in the same crate. I'm sure that helped with their stress level. If you have any questions pm me. As long as your bunnies are healthy and the temperatures are good, I'm sure your bunnies will be fine. Oh yes, I started mine on a probiotic before the flight and kept them on it when they arrived for about a week just as added insurance for their gut health.

Hi, thanks! I am so happy to hear that they all made it! :D

I have been in contact with a vet in Jordan who is organizing our import permission. The buns got rabies vaccinations yesterday and were ID chipped last week and all papers have now been sent to Jordan. The health check will be done the day before departure.

I am currently shopping around for the best crate for them (they are a bonded pair) so that they can go together (mini lop male and rex female). The vet told me it was a good idea to fill the crate with hay to make them more comfortable with the environment - is this a good idea and what did you have in your crate?

Maybe I should look into finding a pet transport company. We will have to make one stop on the way and I am scared that it will be a problem to be in transit with them, also because my husband needs to fly out before me and I will be alone with bunnies and luggage...

I will go and get probiotic right away!

Thank you!!! :wave:

if you have access to petextraordinarium they have a cargo pet carrier that is aircraft proof has little dishes fitted in the door for food and water it was 40pound when i bought it hun x :wave:

Ahhhh...I can feel your stress. Moving is so exhausting, especially when you have furry friends to worry about on top of everything else.

If you can use hay, I would. That way they have something to snack on too. I would use newspaper or something else absorbant under it just in case of urine or water spillage. My pet transport company used shredded paper in my bunnies' crate. I think they had to though because of British import laws.

We used a Travel-Aire kennel. They need to have ventilation on all four sides. It sounds like you have everything under control really. I wish you the best of luck on your trip and may all you connections be smooth:)

oh gosh, what a trip!
I was about to do it too from france to the US, but I never did. Instead we cam here, and they traveled by boat... it wasn't easier due to the bad weather and they had to stay in the garage in the car...
to avoid ecunili reaction due to the stress, you can give them a cure of panacur a week before the trip.
If they have to travel in the cargo, do not worry. For very long trip, crew can access this area (which is under the same pressure/temperature than the cabin) to check on the pet.
Check well with the airline they do accept the pet on bard (whatever cargo or cabine, sometimes certain A/L do refuse to take some pets within the cabine area) and only certain airline are authorised to import pets on specific routes in the uk.
You can check everything here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/routes.htm
though after having a look, I wasn't unable to find Iceland!

I found something on the charter non EU routes...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/charter.htm

Back